This is going to be a bit long and potentially confusing, so bear with me. This is only our second hatch. The first we got 9 chicks out of 30, we candled and broke them open at the end and they were all liquid except one who died after he pipped, we think it was just bad luck with shipped eggs, they never even developed aside from the ones who hatched, This hatch, we got shipped eggs again. Some arrived (Bresse & Cream Legbars) on the same day, we had them for 2 days before the other eggs arrived (Silkies) The Silkie eggs were in the mail for 8 days! It was around Christmas so we had a ton of delays.. We put the cream leg bars and the bresse eggs in the incubator on a Sunday night and then the Silkies we put in as soon as we got them, Tuesday morning...We honestly didn't expect any of them to be any good after being shipped and probably banged around a lot. Well, Friday night we just went ahead and started lock down according to when we put in the first eggs. We candled them right before taking them out of the turner and laying them flat and we have 9 silkies that were clearly alive, moving in there and had pretty good sized air sacks. We had 25 eggs total that were all developed and moving during the candling. Well, Saturday night (early) we had 2 Bresse hatch on their own while we were asleep. We noticed at that time that two others had pipped. This afternoon one of the ones that had pipped hatched on it's own and the other hadn't moved or shown any signs of doing anything at all in several hours, so we tried to open the hole a bit to help out but it had already died. The membrane was clear, we think it just got too rubbery and it couldn't kick out. I know it is not advised to help until several hours later, which is why we waited. So earlier tonight a Silkie pipped. We left him alone as he was still chirping a lot and poked his beak out occasionally but we realized he had pipped at the wrong end. We waited and did a lot of reading and just ended up totally confused. We took the egg out to make it's hole a teeny bit bigger and when we did realized there was quite a bit of blood (we hadn't even poked/prodded, just moistened the membrane with a wet q tip. We put it back in the incubator and watched it closely. We noticed it was breathing very hard and when we checked maybe 20 minutes later it had already died we didn't assist because of the blood, but now I feel bad! We peeled back the shell a bit to see what had gone wrong and there was a lot more blood. My boyfriend ended up doing the rest and saw that the yolk had never absorbed, so it was obviously not ready. Ok, so here are my questions, if anyone is still with me (Sorry I am so new to all of this and so worried it's all my fault!) 1. Is it likely that we will have this problem with a lot of the silkies and could it be due to their extended time in the mail and putting them directly in the incubator without allowing them to rest first? 2. What could have caused the other to pip and then die even though it appeared to be developed and have clear membrane? I should add that we tried to keep the humidity around 45-50 throughout the incubation but we have had quite a few cold nights here and our house gets down to 66 degrees some nights. We adjusted it by adding water anytime we checked it if it was low, the lowest I saw it get was one morning down to 26. We have the incubator right near our kitchen so check it morning/night so even if it got low it was likely only low for a few hours before we adjusted it. We have them in an automatic turner, the first hatch we hand turned 3x a day but wanted to try a turner this time to see if it yielded better results. 3.The humidity for the lockdown has stayed between 65-75, is that too high or too low? Could that be causing problems? We have the vent open in the top as well, is that an issue? I'm sorry for the essay, I just feel awful knowing they were all in there moving just a few days ago and really hope we don't lose a bunch of them due to being ill-prepared! Hoping for any advice you can give me, I think I am freaking out more than I need to since I am still so new at this, I just feel so bad for the two we lost and want to prevent it again if we can again. I've read the page that details everything to do and when (if necessary) to intervene, but still don't feel confident. I just worry that all the silkie eggs will pip on the wrong side and we will lose them due to the shipping. Last and final question (I haven't written this much since I had to write papers in high school) 4. Is it a problem that we put the Silkie eggs in 2 days after the others? Will having them on lockdown at the same time and early for them cause them to have issues? Thank you so much if you read all that!