HELP! eggs kicked from under broody by other hen...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazycluck86, Mar 8, 2013.

1. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Really hoping someone can help, my broody started sitting on egfs we bought in for her yesterday-she took to them straight away and seems to be very dedicated...however I was advised not to seperate her from the flock. This morning my other hen had squeeezed into her nestbox to lay an egg whilst the broody refused to move the eggs were kicked from underneath her landing in the poop tray (clean) im not sure how long they were there but it was definitely less than 3 hours. I collected them and they were cold to the touch. I seperated her straight away and she is fabulous...but do you think they will be ok or is it to late?

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    I have seen people here hatch refrigerator eggs so one way to find out give her the egg back and cross your fingers.

3. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Really?! Wow....well fingers and toes crossed for these babies! She is much better on her own now, a very dedicated mummy....so far!! Proving quite difficult to get her to eat/drink though as the nest box is all she wants!

4. chickydee64

chickydee64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    oregon
    HI, Relax............
    I think they will be fine.............
    If they are bad, the hen will likely not continue to sit.
    Hens are sooooo smart[​IMG]
    It is we humans that have trusting thier instincts...............

It is good you seperated her..I have a dog kennel ( the kind you can ship in )
    Always put my broodies in there for her privacy. In the wild they hide with thier nest.
    I think they know better than us.
    Your hen is probably saying 'thank you, thank you " for helping her.

Intigrating them with the flock is a whole new issue.
    We will be here to help you when you need it.

Let us know how it goes for you[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. crazycluck86

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Ha ha I agree! Im going to stop worrying and have every faith in her....but I do have a back up plan just incase...I have put two eggs in the incubator! I shall keep you posted. ...and as I am a born worrier you will probably hear from me sooner ha! Thanks again all :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by