Help!!! Eggs Not Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddyriverdogz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Cleveland
    I have been trying to hatch Delaware eggs for the past month or more. Not all developed, but most did, and didn't hatch out. Last month we had a power outage that killed all my eggs for July! I had the eggs in a spare room, but we started re-doing it for my daughter, and I think the temp was too unstable, fluxuating too much from 99-104 degrees. I moved the incubator this Saturday into a more stable and secure area of the house hoping it will make a difference. We have hatched before, but it was over the winter, and only got 3 chicks out of 12. Our hen isn't broody, or maybe things would be different. We are using a store bought incubator and turner with a dig. thermometer. My husband said to set the temp. at 102 deg. on the dig. thermometer in the incubator. (I know from what I've read it says temp should be 99.5.) The humidity runs between 50-54%. Again my husband said that it needs to be at 80% at the end of the hatch. The chicks develop, but never hatch. I candled one this last Thursday and it was alive, but come Sunday, hatch day, nothing! Any ideas or help would be appreciated! This is so disappointing.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sounds like your high on your temps and humidity.

3. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Cleveland
    maybe they are overheating and drowning? I don't raise the humidity to 80%, I think the hightest I ever got it was 64% at hatch time. I have the temp lowered to about 100 deg. checked it with 3 dig. therm's average is 100.4 deg. the humidity has fallen to 48%. I have done some reading in other posts, I hope that these older eggs survive and hatch. We are still very new to this. . . . . .

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by