Help! Eggs too soft!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 16 paws, Feb 3, 2013.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there, My Hen just started laying yesterday or the day before, first egg we found was broken and nothing inside, the second was fine and I just went out and found another egg and when I picked it up it was so soft and not normal. We just started giving her oyster shell yesterday because the feed store said to give it when they start laying...I am worried... any advice?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Don't worry too much. It's common for there to be glitches when they first start laying. Continue to offer oyster shell on the side. If you have some that don't like oyster shell, you can also wash and crush egg shells and feed them back to them.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG]Hi & Congrats! If you still have chick feed to use up ? Then adding the oyster shell will help. If you want you could also mix layer feed in with the chick feed until chick feed is gone to make sure they are getting calcium. The first few eggs can be kind of wonky until their system gets regulated.

4. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the advice, can we eat the soft shell egg?
    Marie

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I used to cook those and feed them back to the chickens... that was my preference anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by