Help Egyptian goose ASAP

MiniB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Illinios
I have 3 Egyptian geese. They are about 12 weeks old. 2 of them are fine.. feathered and full grown, but one has problems. It's about half the size of the others and only has wing feathers and some on head and butt. Its lower back to its wings is only fluff and its neck is really thought feeling with some fluff and really little feathers that you can only see if pick her up and get really close. She's stopped growing and her feathers did awhile ago. What's wrong with her? Anything I can do for her? Is she going to die?

I have 3 Egyptian geese. They are about 12 weeks old. 2 of them are fine.. feathered and full grown, but one has problems. It's about half the size of the others and only has wing feathers and some on head and butt. Its lower back to its wings is only fluff and its neck is really thought feeling with some fluff and really little feathers that you can only see if pick her up and get really close. She's stopped growing and her feathers did awhile ago. What's wrong with her? Anything I can do for her? Is she going to die?
Hi MiniB, I don´t keep Egyptians, so I don´t know if it´s something peculiar to them, but it´s new to me.
However, first thing is always look at their diet. And jusy because it´s not a problem with thewm both, it doesn´t mean it´s not sa dietary problem. Some are just tougher than others. Like us!
So what are you feeding the, and are you giving them specific waterbird feed, greens, etc, or added necessary vitamins?
One of the biggest problems with growth and development is lack of VitB3.

I give them all flock food, I give them grass, they get the bugs that come to then, black oil sunflower seeds everyday with their normal food,mealworms about 2x a week, and showbird/game bird food once a week.

I give them all flock food, I give them grass, they get the bugs that come to then, black oil sunflower seeds everyday with their normal food,mealworms about 2x a week, and showbird/game bird food once a week.

Sounds like they get plenty of protein. Did you check out the VitB3? Also known as niacin. All-flock has to be somewhere in the middle as regards supplements, so may not have enough of it for yours. Brewers Yeast is usually easy enough to get in a pharmacist, it has a good amount of VitB3 in it.

Im am going to see if it has it in the showbird gamebird stuff and if it does give her more of that and see if that helps

Im am going to see if it has it in the showbird gamebird stuff and if it does give her more of that and see if that helps
But it´s best just to go and buy the Brewer´s Yeast anyway. Waterbirds really need their own feed, as they need different nutrients etc, but a lot of places don´t sell it, so we have to improvise... = Buying the extras they need, like niacin.

Where would they sell that?
Niacin is another name ofor VitB3 which is one of the vits in BrewersÝeast Any of this can be found in a pharmacist. But don´t get the time-delay, as the birds don´t want that...we control that side of things. VitB3 affects their general growth, so it´s a good one to give to waterbirds anyway...beyond the feed they´re getting, unless it´s specifically for waterbirds, then it should have more of it in than other feeds would.

Niacin is another name ofor VitB3 which is one of the vits in BrewersÝeast Any of this can be found in a pharmacist. But don´t get the time-delay, as the birds don´t want that...we control that side of things. VitB3 affects their general growth, so it´s a good one to give to waterbirds anyway...beyond the feed they´re getting, unless it´s specifically for waterbirds, then it should have more of it in than other feeds would.
I haven't found Brewers yeast at CVS I asked, I had to buy from health food store and I also ordered on line. Years ago you could buy Brewers yeast at most Pharmacies but it's not as popular with humans as once was so it's harder to find.

Back
Top Bottom