Help!!! Emergancy!!! Hen With Huge Cut On Head!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlecreekfarm, Dec 23, 2011.

1. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    please help my hen Alice a black australorp that is around 9-10 months got attacked by my rooster and she has this cut on her head that is bloody and the cut is bad and i can see the insides a little bit and its really bad. i put pick-no-more cover up lotion on it which a southern states employee recommended. she acts fine but is there anything else i can do for her?

thanks any help is appreciated

-erin

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She should be separated from the other birds, first of all. Second, the wound should be cleaned out with a mild Betadine solution. If you don't have that, flushing with warm water so you can see the extent of it is the least you should do, then if you have antibiotic ointment, slather that on the wound. The only thing you do NOT want to do is put anything with benzocaine or lidocaine pain reliever in it on that wound-it can be fatal to birds. She can't stay with the flock. Are you sure the rooster did this?

I wouldn't have put the pick-no-more gunk on there--feed stores give the worst advice sometimes. That is only if she is with the flock, which she should not be right now.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    separate her from the flock, keep her wound clean and apply regular Neosporin and cover the wound if possible.
    have fresh water and food for her and she should be fine.

Quote:

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'd be amazed at what just applying antibiotic ointment can do to a wound. If they are where others cannot pick on them, they heal pretty well.

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    first do what the others said for the wound, second if you are positive the roo did this he should not be with your flock anymore and should be gotten rid of asap, if he did this he could hurt your other girls as well.

6. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    She is seperate. And i'm pretty sure it is was my cockerels fault. I saw them trying to mount her bit she was being stubborn. And i noticed her starting to lose her head feathers but just yesterday noticed the blood and cut. i will clean the wound

7. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Hope she feels better soon [​IMG]

8. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    can you post pics?

9. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    yeah they are disturbing though...................

here are some pics....sorry they are disturbing pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

again she acts fine drinks and eats

10. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:thanks Cortney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by