HELP! EMERGENCY!!!! BABY CHICKEN IN PAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iwuvapplesauce, Sep 4, 2016.

1. iwuvapplesauce

iwuvapplesauce Just Hatched

Sep 4, 2016
    Okay. So I'm a chicken farmer and have had my big chickens for about a year and a half. A month ago I incubated some eggs for the first time and got two beautiful chickens out of it. A few weeks ago I put them in a dog cage in the coop my big chickens are in. A day ago I opened the dog cage and expected my hens (or incredibly nice rooster) to be nice to them and treat them like babies. I came home yesterday afternoon and found my chickens stuck between the fence and he dog cage sprawled out and my baby Pablo destroyed! The bigger chickens went into the cage and must have pecked at him with no stopping, no MERCY!!! His skull is exposed along with some of his bone that moves when he eats and drinks. I've put peroxide on it and cleaned it with a paper towel and warm water. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. iwuvapplesauce

iwuvapplesauce Just Hatched

Sep 4, 2016
    I'm scared and don't know what to do. Please help!!!!!! :,(

3. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Aww the poor little guy. Keep him seperate, WARM and quiet. You may want to apply some triple antibiotic cream on his wounds. Give him soft foods to eat (mashed boiled egg or chick food wetted down into a mush). Vitamins in his water would be a good idea. Have you seen him eat or drink? As for a bone moving I have no clue. If you are able to post a video on YouTube and put the link in here someone may be able to help you. Let us know how he's doing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chicks can suffer brain damage pretty easily when pecked by bigger chickens. That said, if the chick is alert and can stand or walk, I would cage it, and make sure that it gets water and feed during the day. Add some water to a small bowl of it's feed to moisten it--that way it will get more fluids and make it easier to eat if it has swollen eyes and can't see well. Use some plain bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment on eyes and wounds untill it starts to heal.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I've had a few scalpings in my flock and they've all healed well, aside from some permanent feather loss in the area. Just keep him separate, warm, and apply antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin daily. He should be fine within a few weeks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by