1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!!! Emergency!!!! Banty Chick Stuck!!! EDIT: see post#16

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG] HELP!!! One of my banty chicks seems to be stuck in his egg! There is one newly hatched chick in there that keeps making the egg roll around (and some of the others too) This egg pipped yesterday morning, and has a half circle broken off around the egg, and only about a 1/4th of it has no cracks.
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to help him? What can I do?! I'm afraid he may not make it. It hasn't made any progress lately...
    PLEASE help me!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: see post #16

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]

3. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I would leave it if it made it that far I think it that far I think he is strong enough to hatch all the way.If you absolutely think he cant get outon his own then you could take off the 1/4 of shell thats still on there of.Is it still breathing?somtimes they take long breaks.

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes he is still breathing. He stopped hatching for a while... We think he almost stopped breathing. He hasn't done much for a while. The last time he made any indention in the egg was either early lthis morning or late last night. I peeped to him though and he responded, so he's not sleeping.

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Personally I'd intervene. Pip to zip takes a long time for me..but once they zip it doesn't usually take such an extreme long time to finish. If he's that far completed and hasn't done anything since last night or this morning...I'd personally help. You know there's no blood vessels to worry about, in fact this far along you could just pull the ends apart till its cracked all the way through and leave him to do the rest. Maybe the other chicks disturbed his position. But thats me and i'm not very experienced.

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    When the second chick hatched (We CAREFULLY took the first one out after he was dry so he wouldn't disturb the others) he just layed there and slept, just like normal. But now, he's moving all around and making all of the other eggs roll around. My banty was pretty close, I think, to hatching, but he rolled a few times and now he's unusually quiet and motionless. Before he moved constantly, even before pipping. Now a third has hatched after pipping only several minutes ago. Both of them are all over the other eggs, and I'm afraid some of them won't hatch now. I really want to help him, but I can't without hurting the other eggs by opening the incubator...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    I don't think it really bothers the unpipped eggs to be rolled around a bit...but sometimes it does seem to affect some that are in the process of hatching. But once again, i'm not that experienced. If you do help, I'd leave most of the shell still on to let the chick break itself out.

8. kvmommy

Jan 2, 2011
    Alot of people take the incubator into a hot steamy shower with the water running and/or spray the eggs with warm water and throw in a sponge with HOT water because that bumps the humidity up. If you pop your hand in quickly and grab the egg, help the chick and pop it back in real quick, with added humidity it shouldn't be a problem. People open their bators all the time when they have too many chicks or need to help. You just don't want to do it alot and for a long time and not add more humidty.

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Most chicks that I help out of the shell seem to die anyways. I would personally leave it, in my opinion if its not strong enough to hatch its never going to thrive properly.

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok, thanks for the help. [​IMG]
    I'll tell you if anything significant happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by