Help emergency Beagles got a hold of chicken....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jodie13863, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jodie13863

jodie13863 New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    We just have chickens mixed breeds for pets, when I got home today one went into the beagle pen she looks awful scaped hardly no feathers , alot of hanging skin, shes painting, I have her in a cage seperate from all the others bedded down in some hay. She is not bleeding alot just scaped everywhere, and looks awful. She is about 6 months old.

My husband says shes suffering , what should I do for her? Is it human to try to keep her alive? any suggestions thank you so much in advance. Jodie from upstate New York

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Can you post a photo?

If you do a search of chicken injuries on this site, you will be surprised how many chickens survive attacks. I have nursed several after attacks.

Clean her up, cover her open wounds wirh antibiotic ointment. It might be better if you could bring her in the house.

Make sure she is drinking something, maybe diluted gatorade.

Make sure she is eating a little high protein food like cooked eggs, yogurt, canned cat food.

Keep her in a safe dimmly lit place so she can sleep.

I had a vet tell me that I could give 1/8 or 1/10th of a baby apsprin for pain. Others here say to add a tablet to their drinking water. That is up to you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. jodie13863

jodie13863 New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Thank you got her in the garage in a plastic large kennel is she alright with hay or should I use something else.

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I used newspapers just because I think they may be cleaner. How is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by