Help Emergency!chic Was Stuck In A Spot And Just Found

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christina09, Jul 17, 2011.

1. christina09

christina09 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    MY 4 WEEK CHICK WAS FOUND STUCK IN BETWEEN AN AREA, BACK LOOKS PECKED AY, PUT THE TAR ON IT BUT rectum AREA LOOKS BRIGHT RED SWOLLEN, MAYBE PECKED AT, AND WHEN I PICK UP CLEAR STUFF DRIBBLES OUT. WHAT CAN I DO? I PLACED AWAY FROM OTHERS WITH FRESH WATER AND FOOD.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Sounds like a good start, but can't comment without more details. Would at least clean the wound and assess the severity. If it were me, the chick would be in my den in private quarters where I can watch it carefully, tend the injury, and keep insects away from it.

Is the chick alert and active? Eating?

3. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    alert, quite right now, think traumitized i am sure

4. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    i brought into house, its sleeping, havnt seen it eat or drink yet, its in a quiet room by me....

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Try to get chickie to drink/eat. You can use an eyedropper to drip water on beak or offer its favorite food......You can put electrolytes in water and give protiens to help jump start the system.

6. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    thanks i will try

7. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Try cooking her up a scrambled or hard-boiled egg. Let it cool, chop it up and feed it to her. If she doesn't peck at it on her own, wrap her in a towel, and try to force a small piece into her beak. You might have to use your fingers to gently force her beak open. Sometimes all they need is a taste, and they will eat the rest on their own.
    You can also give her small pieces of chopped fruit, tomatoes, etc.

8. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Put some antibiotic ointment, like neopsorin on the wounds.

9. christina09

Jul 17, 2011
    kennewick,wa
    It drank some water out of small feeder i have in cage and i think a little of chick feed. Washed bottom off again with luke warm water carefully. i will be checking her again soon. ok on neosporin that was going to be my next question if it could be used. triple biotic ointment is the same right? and its ok for rectum area correct?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Sorry about your chickie!

Yes, triple antibiotic ointment is alright to use on her bum. Put it wherever she is wounded. Just keep an eye on her vent to be sure the poop is falling off and not sticking to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by