Help Emergency!chic Was Stuck In A Spot And Just Found

christina09

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
kennewick,wa
MY 4 WEEK CHICK WAS FOUND STUCK IN BETWEEN AN AREA, BACK LOOKS PECKED AY, PUT THE TAR ON IT BUT rectum AREA LOOKS BRIGHT RED SWOLLEN, MAYBE PECKED AT, AND WHEN I PICK UP CLEAR STUFF DRIBBLES OUT. WHAT CAN I DO? I PLACED AWAY FROM OTHERS WITH FRESH WATER AND FOOD.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a good start, but can't comment without more details. Would at least clean the wound and assess the severity. If it were me, the chick would be in my den in private quarters where I can watch it carefully, tend the injury, and keep insects away from it.

Is the chick alert and active? Eating?

Try to get chickie to drink/eat. You can use an eyedropper to drip water on beak or offer its favorite food......You can put electrolytes in water and give protiens to help jump start the system.

Try cooking her up a scrambled or hard-boiled egg. Let it cool, chop it up and feed it to her. If she doesn't peck at it on her own, wrap her in a towel, and try to force a small piece into her beak. You might have to use your fingers to gently force her beak open. Sometimes all they need is a taste, and they will eat the rest on their own.
You can also give her small pieces of chopped fruit, tomatoes, etc.

It drank some water out of small feeder i have in cage and i think a little of chick feed. Washed bottom off again with luke warm water carefully. i will be checking her again soon. ok on neosporin that was going to be my next question if it could be used. triple biotic ointment is the same right? and its ok for rectum area correct?

Last edited:
Sorry about your chickie!

Yes, triple antibiotic ointment is alright to use on her bum. Put it wherever she is wounded. Just keep an eye on her vent to be sure the poop is falling off and not sticking to her.

Back
Top Bottom