Help Emergency Chick Attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elle, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Elle

Elle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    HELP!

My 3month old chick who is crippled has been attacked by a brrody hen. I had them separated but they got out and my chick couldnt run away. I need help asap i dont know what to do. Ive placed a swab patch absorbing the blood and got it wrapped up with a bandage. She's shaking so ive got her wrapped up. Her skin has been completelty pecked off around the back of her head. She's sitting closing her eyes but can still move and yawns. Theres sum bleeding out her ears but may just be blood from wound. Ive saparated her from the others and got her wrapped up for warmth. wat should i do?

any ideas will be great.
    Thank you...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elle

Elle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    red lights

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    It sounds cruel, but the broody may just be trying to "cull the weaklings." Did the broody hatch this chick? How bad is the chick's disablilty? she looks like a sweet little thing, but she might not be able to live with stronger birds who see her as deficient. Does she have any friends in the flock?

5. Elle

Elle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    what does red lights mean??

No the broody hen has 6 chicks who are about a month old. The chick below i raised from hatching via incubator. She seems ok at the moment, eating and drinking. She has her two sisters with her in the pen who also get attacked but can run away. The chicks diasbility is very severe she can stand and hobbles to food and water. She can't get up to roost though.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    OK. Clean the wound with saline (weak salt) solution. Use neosporin (or triple antibiotic ointment) (without the pain killer) on the wound. I wouldn't try to cover it because of where it is located.

I would give her electrolytes (Pedialite or something like that) and scrambled eggs for protein.

Can you keep her (and her 2 broodmates) separate from the other chickens? You can use bluecote on the wound to hide the blood from them so they won't peck her (we hope) and make it worse. I'd keep her away from the bigger chickens since she can't escape them

The red light would be for warmth. She will need to be kept warm to heal (hot hot like when she was a chick, just warmer than the outside temp (unless you live in a very warm area). White light shows the blood to the others, red light seems to make the blood not visible to other chickens so they won't go after the wound.

Good luck. It is tough trying to keep a handicapped chick safe from other chickens.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had a little frizzle hen have that happen to her she was basically scalped, looked like yours, I cleaned it out with warm water and kept bluekote on it, it has healed up great and she almost has all her feathers back. This was when it was still warm so like the other poster said keep an eye on her and watch the others they may peck at it since it's open and bloody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by