Help emergency chick problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bandit1988, May 23, 2010.

1. bandit1988

bandit1988 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    basicly my mum was dipping the chicks beak into the water to teach it to drink and i dont no what happend wether it went into shock from jsut being brought out of the incubator or it breathed in some water i dont no but i left it a day and for the first few hours he would stand wen touched but wouldnt walk now he wont move what so ever and is very limp its opening and closing his beak quite fast and making little clicking noises wont cheep or anything can anyone help

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    How long after hatching was the chick taken from the incubator? Had it recovered from the hatch yet, or was it just hatched?
    How long was it out of the incubator or away from heat?
    How much did she dip? They usually don't need more than just touching the tip of the beak to the water once, then they figure it out.
    Has it been doing the gasping for a full day now?

At any rate-- keep it warm ( but not too warm-- make sure it's not too hot, and can move away from the heat source), use a thermometer. Try just touching it's beak to the water again, if he's not moving to the water himself, he may need water if he's too warm. Make sure there are no drafts. Some folks try water or pedialyte with a dropper, but I personally think it can do more harm if you aren't sure of what you're doing.

Did something happen immediately when mom dipped the beak, or was the chick already weak?

Quote:

3. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    the chick was taken out one day after hatching it had literly just come out of the incubator my room was at 32 degrees the incubator was at about 36 so thats not the problen it was calling for help when she dipes the whole beak in and yeah gasping for abotu a full day and it cant move what so ever i touched its beak to water and it did nothing

4. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Well, be sure not to dip the whole beak in-- up a the top is the nares ( like our nose 'holes') if beak and nares are dipped, it could inhale water. Though their respiratory and digestive systems are different than ours, it could cause a problem.
    Was the chick OK before dipping the beak, or had it been acting quiet and sluggish before that?
    Hopefully someone else can jump in and offer suggestions, but supportive treatment is all you can really do now, it's hard to tell what the problem is. Are any other chicks sick? Keep this one separate, so none of the others will hurt it, and keep it warm, offer water if you can. Has it opened eyes, walked, or anything while in the incubator?

Quote:

5. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    yeah while in the incubator it was quite active

6. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'm so sorry. These things do happen. Watch, wait, keep warm and see what happens. Is this your first hatch?

Quote:

7. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    yeah first hatch

8. NurseNettie

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    How is the chick doing?

9. bandit1988

May 21, 2010
    it died a little over a hour ago

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If a chicken somehow gets some water in its lungs, if it is not too much water the chicken's system can generally absorb the water within a few hours alright.
    It may be your little chick got more water than its system could deal with, or that temperature, or even other problems you didn't know of contributed to your chick having a problem.
    So, so sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by