Help!! EMERGENCY!! :( Doomed egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey guys! I put 18 eggs in the bator on the 30th of Sep. I threw out 2 that didn't develop. I have had 11 chicks hatch so far!!! They started hatching Thursday. I have this one egg that is very special to me. It was laid by my chickens, unlike the others that were given to us. It has been rocking since Thursday. I put it up to myear today and i heard a faint clicking sound. It is still moving. Shoudl i help it? What do i do? Help!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    If its clicking I wouldn't...but then again...its getting pretty late. I don't know enough to help you. I read it one of Pete55 posts that he makes a tiny air hole in the air sac just so they get some air if they are a little late in getting out. But if its clicking then you know its trying to get out and not dead.

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im really worried!! Should i do that?!?!??!

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok update. i picked up the egg and i could feel it jiggling. I candled but i couldnt see an air cell. Does that mean it broke it? It might just be my flashlight. HELP! I don't want it to die!! [​IMG]

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    [​IMG] I know if it were me before....I'd have done it. After a couple very tragic instances of helping chicks that weren't ready, I won't help unless its like your other one that was already zipping and definitely had no blood vessels. Of course, I say that now. I also said I wouldn't candle except at 7, 10, 15 and lockdown day...and have candled a couple of times and its day 6. Wish someone with knowledge will help you. I don't see how poking a hole in the air cell would hurt except if theres not enough humidity it could dry out the membrane. Look for Pete55 and his worksheets.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I think you need to make a decision to either help and do it now or not and do it now! I know it's not much help but [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] If you are going to help Pete's article will help you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you set them on the 30th September then this is only day 22. Which is (IMHO) still WAY too early to go poking holes and interfering with what's in all probability a perfectly healthy chick who's getting ready to hatch in his own sweet time. If you hear clicking then he's probably about to pip the shell, so put him back in and close up the bator. I know it's difficult but honestly it's the best way to go about things...

8. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Do you really think i should??! I really want to make the right decision. [​IMG]

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Well, he has been moving for 4 days, and i think he is about 2 days older than the others, which would make today day 24. He is still moving but not as much.

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    He hasn't moved for a while. Should i help him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by