Help! Emergency question

poultrypalooza

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
I have a 4 month old Khaki Campbell Drake that I raised from a duckling. His name is Jack. I noticed last night that his penis was not going back up inside his body. I did research and found out that it is probably a prolapsed penis. I was hoping that it would go back up by itself, but this morning it is still out. It is not dragging the ground, and as of yet it is still pink. Is there anything I can do to make it go back up inside? If I do manage to get it back inside, will it just pop right back out? No, we do not have a vet that treats "exotic" pets, and even though we live in farm country I do not know of a vet that treats poultry. If we cannot get it to retract will he have to be culled? I really hate to do that as he is so sweet and I am very attached to him, but I don't want him to suffer either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Breathe. In many if not most cases, it will retract. You can help him out in a number of ways.

Lubricate the phallus (I am thinking KY jelly or similar)
Keep it clean
Give him frequent opportunities to float in clean (we know that is a relative thing with ducks) water
Keep him away from the girls

That's what I can recall right now. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has a section on that with recommendations.

Thank you so much! I went to the store and got a small "kiddie" pool and have it set up and I have him separated from the other ducks. Right now all he wants to do is stand by the fence to be near the other ducks. I'm hoping he'll settle down soon and start getting in the water!

Back
Top Bottom