Help! Evening shallow, quick breaths and some mouth breathing...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tambo26, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    Appreciate any suggestions here. I've been looking and looking for answers but nothing seems to fit.
    I have an 8 month old Standard Buff Orpington hen named Pip. (also have two other BO hens) They are my loves!
    I noticed two evenings ago as she was sitting on my lap before bed, that her breathing was more shallow and quick. Almost like she isnt breathing in all the way. Her nose had some wetness and she was shaking her head a bit. No sneezing. At night I give them a bit of cracked corn and birdseed before they go to roost. I'm not positive that the moist nostrils wasnt from drinking water after her snack. She eats like a pig. She is drinking water, not more or less than usual. Doing a little mouth breathing and a little of that open mouth/neck stretch thing. Again, I've seen this only in the evening. Yesterday morning she was fine. Last night same thing happened. Now this morning... she is absolutely fine.. nostrils dry and everything. I made sure to pick her up and check her abdomen for any egg-bound-ness (?). I felt her chest area wondering if when she pigs out at night that is causing her to not be able to breathe well ..... ya know when you eat too much and you feel like you cant breathe? Or maybe her crop is impacted and she cant breathe (?) Anyway, I don't really know what it should feel like but her whole chest felt kinda like... I guess a little full of water or something... or air.... or maybe its just fat.... not huge by any means... I massaged and rubbed for about 15 min and didnt she love it! (kept my hands warm too!). Right before I finished she did do the open beak neck stretch thing.... So I'm having a panic attack wondering what I should do!! I am worried about Gape Worms... I don't want to have to wait for more definite symptoms to treat her! She's my baby!! Will it hurt her to treat for Gape Worm if she doesnt have them? Any other suggestion of what this sounds like to more experienced chicken owners? I treat these girls better than some parents treat their children.
    They have layer pellets available all day.
    They have fresh, clean water.
    They have a poop free 4X4 insulated coop to sleep in at night.
    They have an enclosed (fort knox esque) attached run that is 1/4 sand and then 3/4 dirt/sand covered in pine flake for the winter. It is totally covered by a roof and the sides are all plastic for winter. There is plenty of ventillation.
    They get warm fresh corn and peas most mornings. Sometimes instead they get one apple halved with plain yogurt, pumpkin seed.
    Before bed they get 1 cup mixture of cracked corn, BOS and birdseed.
    Their poops from last night were all solid, I didnt see anything that looked like worms.
    She did have diarreha (sp?) on my leg this a.m. while I was massaging her chest.
    I can't smell anything sour from her mouth.

Thank you thank you thank you for any suggestions ! I may run out and get a tube of Safeguard?

2. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    So sorry but its hard to tell without a vets exam and tests. Could be just the weather change or maybe bedding is to dusty? Might put them on antibotics and watch them and hope it was nothing but the weather. There are several other things that cause symptoms-MG can show mouth breathing and occasional sneeze. ILT is another and it causes weird looking eggs that have strange shells. They mouth breath,stretch their neck to clear blockage and shake the head too and a high pitched cough at times then there is IB that could look the same to some. Im sure if you have a small flock and they are not coming and going then its nothing but just keep an eye on them. Im not a vet nor do I want to be but these are some things I have seen personally and am just throwing them out there. Good luck and keep us posted!

3. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    she's still fine... I massaged her chest again (she's loving this) and I did the same to the other two. My smallest Toby (October) had just swallowed a bunch of grit and that really helped me to feel how the crop should feel. Hers was small and pooched out just where the grit was. Pips is hard to distinguish from anything else and seems that it's her whole chest.... When I massage she eventually starts doing that open mouth thing and a little of the stretching of the neck. Is it air? Is it fluid? Maybe that's just how she is. I didnt give anything this am for additional food. Not going to give anything other than their layer feed for a few days and see.... and continue with the massage therapy.

4. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    That might just be how she acts and there might not be issues at all. I would just keep an eye on her.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by