Help! Exposure to disease & pests! What do I do first, second, third,

FiFiFeather

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
North Washtenaw County
We were gifted 3 hens after we lost one to a hawk. We put the 'new' 3 immediately in with our 3 (color us newbies stupid, I know!). We should NEVER have gotten the 3 hens. I looked at them at first and thought 'what rag-tag hens!' they were in molt, had trimmed beaks, one yawned not always, but on and off, their feathers looked dull & ruffly, and the hens thin & small, not socialized. In hind sight- ALL warning signs, I know now. Plus the farmer didn't know how old they were and assured us they were healthy and were currently laying eggs. I will post a picture of us because you will then know what stupidity looks like- chicken are NOT like dogs from the pound! (gotta stop with the 'rescue' mentality!)
barnie.gif

We had the 'new' hens 2-3 weeks and killed them all yesterday after one had bubbly eyes yesterday morning. She kept sneezing but with no discharge and I had been noticing she didn't eat the treats (salmon to help their feathers grow in faster) I gave them almost daily.

So, my question is this: how should I treat my hens & when? Is there an order? Should I wait until symptoms show or act pre-emptively (if there is such a thing in this situation).

They are very healthy and active, but they lived with the others for 3 weeks
he.gif
. I am concerned that we have planted a time bomb with our babies. Which is most important to do first? antibiotics? sevin powder? diatomacious earth? We cleaned out the coop thoroughly but I know that's only one part of what I need to do.

Guidance appreciated!

I am a novice chicken owner so i cannot help with your questions but i sure will be interested in any answers you get from the experts on this site. Soooooo hoping your 3 girls are okay and not exposed to anything!

So sorry about your situation...
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd probably go ahead and start giving Tylan 50 now to all of them. 1/2 cc orally for 5 days. I'd also DE the entire coop and sprinkle it in the run too. I've never used Sevin, so I can't comment on that. I don't know...I'm sure others might say to wait till symptoms appear.
Hope someone else will offer more advice, or correct mine.
Good luck!

Oh, and start putting apple cider vinegar in their water! 1 TBS per gallon for at least 5 days each month. That is suppose to help keep worms at bay. Also, if you do give antibiotics, give them some yogurt, just like people, they need to replenish the good bacteria.

Last edited:
You can worm them and dust them with sevn dust for exterinal paracites. But other than that.... I would do nothing. Giving them antibiotics will just kill off all their good bacteria and increase the chance for bad ones to take over. Your birds were healthy and if they still are, should remain so. Treat when and if problems show up.

Oh, thank you! Phew! I'll follow the recommendations.

I did pick up some pyrethrin powder for chickens, but it seems like it's not what's recommended. I've been reading up on it and it seems like Sevin is recommended or at least used/mentioned more than the pyrethrin powder.

Pyrethrin makes me a little nervous. My dog gets subcutaneous scabs when I bathe her in pyrethrin shampoo. (understanding dogs & chickens are different!).

Pyrethrin should work and if I remember right, less toxic than sevin. But... that said, if you see no external parasites, it's not going to do anything. Just lift up your chicken and take a peek under the feathers on it's back, bottom, under it's wings. No bugs, no need.

Just keep an eye on your flock and watch their health. If there was something to catch, they've caught it. But as healthy as they are, they may have easily just fought it off and you cleaned out the coop so I don't really think there is much more you can do. What's done is done and you may have gotten lucky this time around.

Oh, and I am no expert, just a tad of experience, many will have differing opinions.

Well, I sure appreciate your experience!

I just started this last spring with a (sorta) spontaneous stop at TSC for peepers--well, I had researched it & FELT prepared, but reality sure is well, real!
wink.png
We are really enjoying our chicken experience!

We'll check them tomorrow. They have in the last couple days, incidentally, begun the grooming technique of burying their beaks in anothers back, like they are looking for bugs. Up to this point I had only seen the culled hens do this. Not sure what it means, but I hope it doesn't mean bugs!

Back
Top Bottom