Help! Extremely Broody Silkie!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aspen Anderson, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Aspen Anderson

Aspen Anderson Chirping

May 21, 2017
    My Coop
    (I hope I'm posting this in the right location.)

I always wanted a silkie. They're so cute and fluffy and cuddly and sweet and TOO GOSH DARN BROODY!!!! :thI have already searched up articles on how to stop broody behavior, but none of them are seeming to work for several reasons:

1) Remove eggs: We check for eggs daily. There was a time when she was hiding her eggs, but this was before she went this broody (she simply laid them in the wrong spot). I now make sure to check all over for eggs. Not only that, but she will brood on literally nothing. She just wants to sit.

2) Constantly removing hen from nesting boxes: Firstly, I do this whenever I see her. All that happens is her getting frustrated and she can concentrate on nothing but getting back to the hen house. Secondly, my whole family either works or goes to school, so we can't always be out there with her, removing her from the hen house.

3) Closing/removing nests: I have tried this. I did everything I could to remove and block off all nesting possibilities. She still is insistent on sitting wherever. She'll even brood on a bar!

4) Ice: It's recommended to do this in warm weather, but I live in stubborn old Utah where winter refuses to go away. It's warming up slowly, but I haven't had the chance to do this. I don't know when it'll be warm enough and I don't know if I can afford to wait that long.

5) Solitary confinement/"Chicken prison": There are so many reasons why I don't want to do this. The main reason being I only have 2 bantams, both of which have been banished - for lack of a better word - from the regular hens (long story) and need to be separated. Therefore, if I removed my silkie, the other bantam would be all alone. If this is my only option, I could try to work something out, but I'd rather it not come to this.

Does anyone have any other options that might work?? I'm desperate. She's my favorite chicken, and she's not been acting like herself due to this broodiness. :( It's also affecting our other bantam, who is so attached to my silkie that she'll stand and watch my silkie brood, waiting for her to be done (which she never is).

2. Windus

Windus Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Kansas City, MO
    I had to laugh as I have a broody silkie too. I just gave up, she is obviously born to brood so I just let her be her.

PoshFlock and BYCforlife like this.
  3. BoyTheRooster

BoyTheRooster Chirping

Jan 11, 2018
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Honestly, if you can't do "chicken jail", and you've tried everything else, you might be a bit stuck
    You could keep her chicken jail (like a dog or cat crate) inside the coop so the other bantam could still talk to her? And jail is only for a few days anyway

Or if you have the space for more chickens, just let her hatch some

4. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    The best solution is to get her some eggs and let her brood. I have a cochin bantam who is the same way. She’s the most stubborn bird I’ve ever seen. She’s relentless until she gets a chick! :)

5. Aspen Anderson

Aspen Anderson Chirping

May 21, 2017
    My Coop
    I don't have a rooster, but I have thought about getting her a chick or two from our local store. Would that be a good or bad idea?

Although I might try your "chicken jail" inside the coop idea. I honestly hadn't thought of that and it's a great idea! Thanks for the help.

6. Aspen Anderson

Aspen Anderson Chirping

May 21, 2017
    My Coop
    Haha! I heard cochins were pretty broody, too. They're super adorable, though!
    I had thought of the idea of maybe getting her some chicks. Maybe that would satisfy her broodiness? I have no idea if that'd work, though.

7. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    That would be a great idea. My Cochin has an adopted silkie, and I’m not planning on telling either of them!

Attached Files:

8. Aspen Anderson

Aspen Anderson Chirping

May 21, 2017
    My Coop
    Gotta love silkies, right? :gig

Feather Hearts likes this.
  9. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    I swear it’s like she hatched it herself!

Feather Hearts and BYCforlife like this.
  10. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    Yep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: