HELP!!! Eye watering & squeezing shut plus weird breathing with beak open and watery reddish orange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RIRRainbowFarms, Jan 2, 2014.

1. RIRRainbowFarms

RIRRainbowFarms New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    We have several 12-13 wk old RIR chicks. We started out with 16 about 3 weeks ago, and seven of them have died over the last two weeks. Now one of them has eye watering & squeezing shut plus weird breathing with beak open and watery reddish orange poop. We have had it separated from the others since we first noticed it, and she is not eating or drinking well. We've been treating her eye with saline eye wash, and trying to get her to eat and drink. Now another in a separate enclosure is starting the same weird breathing with her beak open and sounds like she is sneezing or wheezing. Her eye looks fine so far, but we don't know if it is the same problem as the other. Does anyone know what might be causing either of these problems? Also, should we put the one that just started breathing weird with the other that is separated even though it doesn't have the eye problem? We are desparate for some help and answers or advice. We have lost almost half of our new flock so far and can't afford to lose them all! Don't know if all the same issue or just one of those things with new chicks/pullets.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im sorry i cant help but i wondered if you have them on medicated chick starter? hopefully someone will help soon.[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your losses, but I think you could have both coccidiosis and a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (CRD), coryza, or infectious bronchitis going through your flock. Do the chicks have a bad smell about their heads that might indicate coryza? Are they sitting around puffed up and not eating much? If they have coryza, I would recommend you treat with sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox or Albon) or Sulmet. If you don't think they have the bad smell, I would put them on Corid (amprollium) 1 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid to 1 gallon of water for 5 days for coccidiosis. Also treat with Duramycin, oxytetracycline, or Tylan for at least 7 days for the respiratory disease.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 I Agree with above post.you can try Tylan 50 for the respitory illness at the rate of large birds 1/2 cc small birds 1/4 cc given once daily for five days injection is given into the beast muscle. Tylan 50 is the antibiotic Tylosin. It is excellent for respitory illness. One thing to keep in mind is if it's a virus antibiotics will NOT KILL a virus but antibiotics WILL prevent deadly secondary infections that come along with the virus.IF it's viral their bodies will have to fight it on their own but I would still HIGHLY recommend the use of antibiotic for secondary infection.i like injectable antibiotics much better than water soluble powder antibiotics because dose is much more consistent and not continent on amount drank like with water soluble. When They are ill they tend to not drink as much as they should and this will interfere with dose consistency in water soluble antibiotic. Also the injection gets into the blood stream faster. You Should be able to get all the supplies such as syringes and Tylan 50 at your local feed store.as for the blood in the feces that can be treated with cord or amprol both mess are amprollium and kill all 9 strains of cocci while other meds only kill 2 strains. As you know both these illnesses can kill quickly so I would start treatment as soon as possible! I really hope this helps and do wish you the best.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by