HelP fast

ChickenLover200

Crowing
8 Years
May 10, 2013
I'll be in the barn!
So yesterday I saw two white leghorns with really floppy combs and i was taking pics of the one when I turned around and the other was on her side still breathing but looked like she was dying and I came back to the house and wenT back and she was fine except for the comb was still weird... find her dead last night now the other one is doing the same thing... Are they egg bound? I have been looking for answers online and nothing I was hoping some one could help me here :/
They are two years old I think
I did come across one thing that chickens from feed stores are bred to only live to 5 years old???

It could be a number of things but it definitely sounds concerning. Sorry that you lost one. Did you examine the body of the one that passed? That might give you some more clues as to what is going on (i.e. egg bound). If they both were egg bound there are remedies you can try. I would search on here to find some therapy to try right away. Otherwise just make sure the surviving chicken has a safe, darker, cool area to recooperate with lots of good food (try scrambling an egg) and water. Good luck!

How old are are they? Is it very hot there? Have you felt their crops? Are they having normal poops? What kind of feed? Have you examined the skin around their vent feathers for lice or mites? How long since they were wormed. Very likely it might be the heat. Cool water and much shade during the day, with some electrolytes in the water helps on the hottest day.

It could be a number of things but it definitely sounds concerning. Sorry that you lost one. Did you examine the body of the one that passed?
No I don't like to do that stuff :rolleyes: it did look like she was laying there for at least 4-5 hours? :/

That might give you some more clues as to what is going on (i.e. egg bound). If they both were egg bound there are remedies you can try. I would search on here to find some therapy to try right away. Otherwise just make sure the surviving chicken has a safe, darker, cool area to recooperate with lots of good food (try scrambling an egg) and water. Good luck!

How old are are they?
I didn't raise these hens but I an pretty sure they are 2 or 3 that is my guess I an leaning towards 2

Is it very hot there?  
Fir the past few days it feels like fall here so no it isn't very hot

Have you felt their crops?
No should I?

Are they having normal poops?
I think so it is kind if watery though but it has been like that since we got them because I think they were but feed right at all...

What kind of feed?  
Dumor layer crumble they have had that since we got then 2 or 3 months ago

Have you examined the skin around their vent feathers for lice or mites?
No but they did look kind of irritated when we got them and there were a lot if feathers missing around that area

How long since they were wormed.
We never worm our chickens

Very likely it might be the heat.  Cool water and much shade during the day, with some electrolytes in the water helps on the hottest day.

Back
Top Bottom