HELP! Favorite 6 year old Bantam oozing egg from vent...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonya9, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Just noticed one of my favorite bantam hens was not grazing before bed. Found her in the next box standing over a puddle of raw egg.

What do I do? This little bird is truly one of my favorites, she is older, at least 5 or 6 (retired show hen, had her about a year but not sure how old).

2. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Okay so I soaked her in a warm bath for 15 minutes and put her in a clean crate.

She appeared to be staining and trying to eject whatever is left inside, bits of whitish stuff come out.

Their eggs are normally thick shelled so I don't know what is going on, I would be surprised if a normal egg of hers broke inside.

3. chickenstar

chickenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    She may have laid a softshelled egg and that's why you see egg yolk coming out of her vent because it has ruptured on exit of of her vet. Be very carefull wash her vent area and watch her for infection symptoms, if she starts acting lathargic and sickly , goes off her food ect, don't wait and take her in to a vet ask for strong antibiotics like baytril or clavamox because this kind of infection is deadly if not treated straight away!, exact same thing happened to my hen she got antibiotics and is fine now

4. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Thank you. My first thought was soft shelled egg, but there are so many stories of chickens dying from egg related problems that it scared me.

Now that I think about it, this may be the first egg she has laid since last fall/summer so soft shelled seems likely.

5. Hannahloveshens

Hannahloveshens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi my 6 year old men has the same problem I bathe her in warm water for 15 mins a day and that seems to help her a lot she occasionally lays soft shell eggs but hardly lays anymore, I think you just need to keep bathing her in warm water as she could be egg bound many thanks Hannah

6. SoGood

SoGood New Egg

I think is rather better to prevent egg rupture. Alot can result to rupture of egg in the vent. What do you think about the feed the bird took,the calcium percentage of the feed matter alot in your feed..checking the percentage of the feed will really reduce it. You shouldn't just give any juncks to you layers bird.

7. Sonya9

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    They have a dish of oyster shell so it isn't a calcium deficiency.

Good news -- this morning I found the whole "skin" of the egg in her crate. She is chipper and feeling good. I will keep an eye on her but she seems fine now that she expelled the membrane. Since this is probably her first egg in many months her system likely just hiccuped a bit getting started again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by