1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Favorite hen is very ill!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abengel, Aug 16, 2011.

1. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    My 3 month old d'uccle is sitting alone with all of her feathers puffed up. Today is the 3rd day and she seems worse every day. Eating, drinking and moving very little, no other symptoms that I can see. This is the hen that jumps on my shoulder when I go into the pen, I'm very fond of her. Please help!

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Has she ever been dewormed?
    What do her poops look like?
    Is she laying?
    What are you feeding her?

3. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    I gave her 2 drops of ivermectin topically yesterday, and put antibiotics in the water. They eat Purina flock raiser and I add a vitamin/electrolyte supplement to the water. The pen and coop are new and clean. No unusual looking poops lying around, no respiratory symptoms. She's never been dewormed prior to yesterday. Not laying yet, only 3 mos old.
    Thanks

4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    You should probably bring her in just to be sure. You dont want your other girls getting sick either. Could it possibly be to hot? Some yogurt might help too if he stomach/ intestines are acting up.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you take a fresh fecal sample to a vet and have them check for cocci. If the slide is loaded with it, use corid to treat it.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Was she not feeling well before you dewormed her or used antibiotics?

7. Bettylouplus4

Bettylouplus4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Is she siting in a nesting box or is she just laying around some where?
    My favorie hen is doing that too, we put her in a box away from our other chickens just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by