HELP :( FEATHER PICKING OR IS IT??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessLyall, Nov 24, 2013.

1. JessLyall

JessLyall New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    I have a Bantam chicken, and i noticed when i was cleaning them out that she has a few snapped feathers on and around her wing area. The skin isn't sore or red and she isn't in any pain but i'm really not sure what it is. I've tried to look it up on the internet to no help :( They don't look much in the pictures but i have noticed more today. Please can someone help?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Whether pulled out or molting, they are being replaced with new 'pinfeathers'. It looks to me as if she is molting.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like she's just growing in some new feathers.

4. JessLyall

JessLyall New Egg

Nov 24, 2013
    Thank you for your advice, feel very silly now for worrying. They have been through a molt before but I have never seen this! But thank you for putting my mind at ease!

5. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I thought it had to be something terrible the first time I saw it, too. It sure looks bad when you first see it.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    They are also called blood feathers because the sheath at the bottom of the new feathers are full of blood as is the shaft of the feather. Blood feathers are feathers that are in growing mode, also called pinfeathers.

If your poultry has any broken or damaged feathers in their tail or wings take a small pair of pliers and pull the damaged feathers out. Whole new feathers will start growing at once to replace the missing quills. Of course if you want your hens wings clipped you don't want to do this. Anyway feathers like those in the picture will be the first ones to become visible.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by