Chickadee00

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
2 of my hens started picking my rooster yesterday, I sprayed the spot with blue spray, so they wouldn't go for him anymore. Today I checked and they picked again and that he's bleeding. I separated him (they can still see him, but can't get to him) and put some ointment on his wound. What do I do now? I have no idea why this started, they always respected their rooster, they have a huuuge enclosure, with green gras, hidings and logs to jump on, they're getting expensive good food and meal worms everyday, I just can't see what made them do this :( what do I do now??

I had a problem with one of my chicks eating newly developed pin feathers on the other chicks, so I did a frantic search on how to solve the problem. I found out, that behavior may have something to do with the space they live in, so I broke 12 chicks into two groups. I put all the injured ones together and put the aggressive chick alone with another group of older chicks as punishment. They put that feather pecker on the bottom of the pecking order. Anyway, I came across other articles on this forum about feather pecking and some members used Vics vapor rub. I used it once on the injured chicks, but the problem was already solved when I took out the cannibal. However, I think it help stop them from turning into cannibals.

Now, they are all grown up and they all live together. I notice that the same culprit started eating feathers again, so I let them run free in my fenced yard and she stop doing it. Its a good thing I caught her before she started making trouble again.

Last edited:
I had a problem with one of my chicks eating newly developed pin feathers on the other chicks, so I did a frantic search on how to solve the problem. I found out, that behavior may have something to do with the space they live in, so I broke 12 chicks into two groups. I put all the injured ones together and put the aggressive chick alone with another group of older chicks as punishment. They put that feather pecker on the bottom of the pecking order. Anyway, I came across other articles on this forum about feather pecking and some members used Vics vapor rub. I used it once on the injured chicks, but the problem was already solved when I took out the cannibal. However, I think it help stop them from turning into cannibals.

Now, they are all grown up and they all live together. I notice that the same culprit started eating feathers again, so I let them run free in my fenced yard and she stop doing it. Its a good thing I caught her before she started making trouble again.
Alright, thanks. I'll separate the 2 troublemakers from the others

Back
Top Bottom