HELP! Feather plucking!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shalynnbrothers, Mar 7, 2016.

1. shalynnbrothers

shalynnbrothers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    2 days ago, I noticed a large naked red spot on the side of my 4 week old Wyandotte's neck. No blood, just very red. I assumed this may have been a result of a pecking order dispute. However, just last night, I noticed in our second brooder (all bantams), one of my little D'Uccles running around with a big feather in her mouth showing it off like a mealworm! Shortly after, I noticed a second loose feather belonging to a different chick laying in the bedding! Are they plucking each other!?

I'm so worried for them!! I haven't been able to catch any of them in the act. So, I'm not sure if there's a specific bully or if they're all doing it. What can I do to stop this behavior ASAP?? I already have a red heat lamp bulb. I really don't have the room to separate anyone but they're quickly approaching "move out" time (currently 4 and 5 weeks old). We aren't quite finished building the coop, unexpected rain has slowed the process. Hoping to get all of our standard size chicks out this weekend!

Any advice?

2. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    How much space do they have? Do they have a roosting bar or some kind of perch?

My 6 chicks are only about 3 weeks old and we just moved then from a 2x3 tub to a 3x5 dog crate for more room.

The more space and activities they have the less time they will spend bullying.

3. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    We have 6 standard size chicks (4 & 5 weeks old) in a 4 ft. kiddie pool with chicken wire around it and 5 bantams (4 weeks old) in a 3 ft. kiddie pool with chicken wire. They both have a roosting bar.

I'm not sure if it's a protein thing or if they're just bored and getting sick of their brooder and each other. They're currently on chick starter. Any kinds of treats or things can i put i their brooder to entertain them?

4. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    You could see about getting a chick block, I think the one I got is called "baby cakes" otherwise thier areas might just be to small

1 person likes this.
  5. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    My dog crate is probably roughly the same size as one of your brooders. And I can see my crate easily being to small for 6 chicks in another 2 weeks. Maybe if you can get the standards out soon you can split the bantams 2 in the smaller and 3 in the larger till they are ready

1 person likes this.
  6. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    I think I saw those at Tractor supply a couple weeks ago! That's a great idea. I'll head there today and see if they still have them, give that a shot. Thank you![​IMG]

7. sawilliams

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    No problem, I found it at tractor supply too

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Are you feeding Dumoor feed?

9. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Uh oh! Okay, our goal is to do everything possible to get the standards out this weekend. That's a great Idea, splitting the bantams up. They'll still be okay with each other when we put them in the coop if they're separated for a week or two?

10. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA

Is that a brand? I don't think that's what we have, I'll look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by