HELP !!!Fed medicated feed instead of regular chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Jan 4, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    My youinger brother and family moved in to our home while we went away for 4 days and he accidently fed my flock medicated chicken feed ..my brother feels bad......my fault because I should have put that bag away ....when I talked to him today he said he actually dumped it into the feeder filled it up ...this morning when I went to check on them there was no feed so I filled it up with there regular feed and after that is when I noticed the medicated feed bag almost empty...

AHHHH! So there must have been some medicated food at the bottom....when I added the regular feed.....
    1> Should I dumb it?
    2> Do you think we could eat the eggs he brought in for us
    3> and for how much longer should I wait to process a nasty Rooster that has been eating the medicated food....well I am not doing it my Italian neighbours going to do the deed....
    My brother had to put two hens down because they were almost killed by the rooster....I didnt see them but he has a soft heart and does not like to see anything suffer .....Merci merci buckets !!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Medicated feed just has amprolium in it which is a thiamine blocker that helps inhibit the growth for cocci in chicks. I really don't think it will hurt you or the eggs in such alittle time. I would eat them but it's up to you, that's my thoughts. Someone else may have a different opinion. I processed roosters that I have kept on Medicated feed. You might want to keep him on something different for a week and then process him. Again my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Thank you for replying .....I feel so bad ..I could just kick myself for not putting that bag away.
    I just came home from dropping my Rooster off at the elderly Italian neighbour up the road and he was thrilled to have a beautiful black Rooster....I think he may keep him to add to his flock...I was talking to him about the medicated feed and he said he wouldnt worry about eating the eggs also...he said if he was going to process the rooster he would feed it some normal chicken feed for a week or so and then process him..He asked me if I knew what was in store bought eggs and then smiled at me....hm?
    ..How long do you think it would take for medicated feed to go through a hen and then the eggs could be eaten...i do sell one or two dozen a week and wouldnt want to sell them that way.
    and I just started getting one green egg a day ! to through a surprize in the carton for them !! thanks again...really appreciate your words of advice...

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Ummm, really, not a big deal. Relax... think of the crud they sometimes eat in the wild....
    christina

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your welcome, Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. If you want tho wait a week before selling eggs, should be out of their system by then I would think.

And as Laskaland says they eat some pretty nasty things least of the worries is medicated feed for a few days [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    thanks guys...I feel better...

7. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    No worries my family is just fine. No third eyeballs:D or big furry warts :Dand we eat the eggs from our hens that were medicated.
    michelle

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    OH thank God !!! I dont want a BIG furry wart !!! snort snort snort but hey I think a third eye would be cool I probably would see better...may have put that bag of feed away !!! up on the shelf someplace !!! thanks

9. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI
    It all depends on what medication is in the medicated feed.
    For example, Amprolium is usually the drug that is found in medicated feeds here in Canada. The withdrawal period for Amprolium is 3 days for meat and it should not be used in Layers. I would say that you are probably safe after 3 days for the eggs.
    I am paranoid about stuff like that so I wouldn't eat them. I certainly would not sell them! [​IMG]
    But that's me...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Just wanted to thank you all ...I decided to throw 3 days of eggs away...about 18 eggs....

On a happier note my girls were very happy this morning !! I think they had a little Spa thing happening when I open the big coop door .They were all laying on the coop floor together .in the sunlight from the window..they all looked up at me and said" well its about time you got rid of him!!!" Life is great now !!! They were all cleaning each other ......it was nice to see.... I feel better now the nasty rooster is gone....well he's three houses down the road anyways....

and oh yes I put the Medicated bird feed bag up on a shelf...out of reach...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by