1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help feeding baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lacrystol, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I was told not to feed two day old baby ducks chicken starter that's medicated so I called around some feeds stores they are telling me to feed the baby ducks chicken layer crumbs??? should I feed them chicken layer crumb they just hatched out Saturday. If not what do I feed them?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:should not feed layer till they start to lay, I'd find another feed store because their is non medicated stater/grower. congrats on the new babies. forgot to say why, ducklings should not have the extra calcium thats in the layer.

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    they have no unmedicated starter feed??? thats what you should be feeding them.

EDIT and it right DO NOT GIVE THEM MEDICATED FOOD i can and will kill them.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I didn't think that was right but so far two stores had told me the crumbs is fine.

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:no i think it has to much calc. in it for their little bodys. they need crumbles starter/Grower feed that has high protein to help them grow up they rate they are sposta [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Well just cause someone works at a feed store doesn't make them an expert on feed, I went to ours once looking for wormer for my chickens and the feed store employee told me to put bleach in their water. Best to research before going.

7. Ragdollcatlady

Ragdollcatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    If you can't find unmedicated chick starter, ask for unmedicated game bird starter. The gamebird is usually unmedicated, but they might try to sell you turkey starter, OK of its unmedicated too. The turker or gamebird are also higher in protein/niacin which is important for waterfowl leg development.
    Kat

8. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Medicated Feed WON'T Kill Ducklings... It used to be a problem- but manufacturers have changed what they medicate with so its now safe for waterfowl. ~Julie~ Edited to say..... I had the same problem, trying to find UnMedicated feed. So when I found out from another reliable BYC person about Medicated/Un Medicated Feed I was glad.

9. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick Starter is in a crumble. If you have a Walmart store, they should have it there (they do at our Walmart) in case you need another place to try for chick starter.. I think a Feed Store "might" be more helpful re: feed/food instead of a "pet store" in M/O. I've been having that problem... you must know what you need a head of time b/c in my opinion they will surely confuse you. Good luck, ~Julie~

10. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I started my first set of ducklings on gerber baby rice cereal (it was packed with niacin), soy flour and a little cornmeal mixed in and leftover fruit/veggie babyfood. They liked it a lot and I ended up with some pretty sturdy duckies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by