HELP! female button quail has gone crazy

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ugo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    hi i have a female button quail who had opened up his mate head up, you can see his hole skull D: i dont know what is going on with her, they were born togother, and they been togather for 6 or 7 month. she just started acting up a week ago but tonight it got really bad. they are housed togather by them selfs. i have removed the female and put her on a small cage. as far as the male goes i patched him up as best as i can. i cleaned him up and tryed to seal his head back up with sticky spray bandage. what is going on with her???

oh i was going to post a pic but i dont think it was appropriate [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. kovalines

kovalines Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Are you sure that she did it? Button quails use to jump when they're afraid and trying to run anay from the danger. Does he has the wing feather cut? Maybe he was frightened as started jumping and hitting his head against the top of the cage. Have you seen her hitting him?

3. Ugo

Ugo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    yes im 100% sure she did it. her face is full of blood. this are pretty friendly button, they are use to seeing a lot of people and have never seen them get spoked. one of my othere males even bites me when i put my hands in the cage. i saw her get aggresive with him but i didnt put much attention to it, i thought she was just moody. so i turned of their lights, when i went to check if she had calmed down i saw the mess . [​IMG]

the male didnt die last night so thats good, he can berly see anything cause his face is all swallon, female is still in a small cage. im scared she will finish him off if i get her back in with him. she did call for him all night though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by