HELP ! Ferndale WA. In Need of Tractor Ideas

clankeyes

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
Ferndale , WA
Hello All.. i have been looking at Chicken Tractor Idea's to the point of going CRAZY ! We would like to start on a plan soon. We will be picking up our babies sometime in March. We will have 4 chickens. I am very confused as to what is a good pattern. OBS it gets wet and windy here. A tad cold at times. Would anyone like to share some advice on what style would be good to build ?
So So Confused.
Thank you !

I like this style:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-nags-head-chicken-coop-tractor

Advantages are that in bad weather they are not on the ground with cold feet. Windproof and roomier.
Easy to move with wagon handle.

I have not built one of these, but this is what I'd pick.

You can turn it into a stationary coop too if you want and make a huge run later.

Tractors where the chickens are forced to be on the ground unless they crouch above where the roost is aren't comfortable for them in snow.

In my small coop I use about 2-3 inches of sand and scoop with a kitty litter scoop to get poo out. Works great!

Last edited:
A coop on a garden cart..... Super easier to move around.

Not sure about super high strong wind.

I have heard that with high wind it is safer to go with the ark/triangle design. And then put it on skids and drag it around.

I looked at this one yesterday LOL. I LOVE this idea. My hubby's only concern was would it be stable. We have 4 acres to move the girls around. AND if the weather GOT horrible we could move them into a very BIG Garden Shed in their tractor . I love the idea of something a bit taller off the group and a nice run that is a bit tall as well. Sadly I can't have a coop that is stationary. Hubby wants it moved all over our 4 acres so as to not beat up one area of yard. Sadly we also have a Eagle family on our property so I have to build Fort Knox ! I like the idea of a taller Coop and a PVC Pipe detachable Run. ( for ease of moving ).

A coop on a garden cart..... Super easier to move around.

Not sure about super high strong wind.

I have heard that with high wind it is safer to go with the ark/triangle design. And then put it on skids and drag it around.
Too true about the high wind. I would try to stake it down somehow. I don't know what to suggest though. We have our three coops staked down with metal wire and T posts (drill a hole in T post to wrap wire through and run through the roof of the coop). That may work for you. You would have to move the T posts when you move the coop though- if soil is dry this is no easy task.

Yes the ark designs would be more stable in high wind.
goodpost.gif

My girlfriend just had her coop blown 10 ft with the high winds. All the girls were okay and it landed upright ! I like the stake down idea in heavy winds. No different than camping really LOL.
Thanks for your help. I can't wait to decide on a plan an buy the supplies. !!!

My girlfriend just had her coop blown 10 ft with the high winds. All the girls were okay and it landed upright ! I like the stake down idea in heavy winds. No different than camping really LOL.
Thanks for your help. I can't wait to decide on a plan an buy the supplies. !!!
Yes the wind was REALLY bad last night.

I am in SW WA state and I took my hummingbird feeder down for the storm it was swinging so badly.

My two dogs did not want to go out in that storm last night ! They had to be made to go outside to do their business ! That wind was hitting our house pretty hard. I had spent the weekend in Leavenworth is the pretty snow and came home to wind and rain ! :(

Back
Top Bottom