HELP! fertile eggs going missing from under duck, blood on other eggs and damaged shells

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by korme5, Jan 13, 2015.

1. korme5

korme5 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Hi guys
    so I have two mamma ducks sitting on eggs there were 7 eggs in total and all were in the late stages of growing. So I went away for the weekend and my mum was looking after the ducks and yesterday she found an egg that had no outer shell just the squishy inner shell bit. She thought it had beeen laid in the night as all the eggs under the mums had hard shells. She brought it upstairs and opened it and there was unfortunately a almost rrady to come out baby inside. It died of course and my mum feels awful but mistakes happen. Anyway I am home now and when I checked the eggs there was not one but two missing from under mum and I found a third with half the shell gone and again the inner shell intaked. The eggs and surrounding bedding have fresh blood on them and I cant find the missing egg anywhere. I have moved the damaged egg into the incubtor as I can see it moving through the soft part of the shell. So my questons are: is there anything else I can do to help save the damaged egg? Could my drakes be eating the eggs as they have been spending more time in with the girls. Could the girls be attacking their own eggs /babies and should I take the eggs off them and put hem in the incubator. These are my first eggs please help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There may be a problem with a predator getting the eggs, but I think that it is more likely that the two hens are quarreling on the nest. Frequently with multiple hens sharing a nest they inadvertently crack or break the eggs. Their natural response in an attempt to 'clean' the nest is to eat the eggs. If they were mine, I would remove one hen and lock her away from the nest in an attempt to save the remaining eggs. Good luck.

Removing the eggs and putting them in an incubator would probably guarantee their survival, but then you would be stuck raising the ducklings. It's so much easier when the mothers do that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. janukey

janukey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    Hi

a friend from work has ducks and he witnessed the drake breaking and eating the eggs persistantly his thoughts were get them off brooding and raising the chicks and be ready to mate soon. just an idea xx

4. korme5

May 12, 2014
    Thanks I think I have figured it out. It seems that crows were going into the duck house whhile the mums were out. I have moved them all into a new run that is secure for when the duckoings come and all the eggs have since been fine.
    One more thing the egg I have in the incubator that was damaged is there anything else I can do to help it survive? Half the shell is gone but the membraine is ok. It is still alive because I can see it move through the membrain. I think it has internally pipped so should it just hatch normal? Or do I need to do anything to get ready ? Any advice would help thanks guys

5. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be tempted to wrap the damaged egg in a damp paper towel - maybe just cover it with a damp paper towel. Good luck.

6. korme5

May 12, 2014
    Ok thanks I just did that I am just worried because I am like 90 perent it has internally pipped but because the membrain has been exposed for so long I am worried that it has like shrunken in onto the duckling and making it hard for the baby to move. It is still alive but whereas a couple of days ago it was rocking the egg now i can only see it breathing. Shoud I assist or???

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have any idea as to what day of incubation the egg has reached?

8. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Ok, if the shell is just cracked, some clear nail polish will do the trick. If it's shell-less like the others, support it the best you can so the pressure doesn't burst it. Keep the humidity high and don't forget to turn the egg. Please keep us posted, and good luck!

9. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Half the shell is missing - too late for the nail polish or wax. I'm always concerned about helping too early and ending up with a chick/duckling with an unabsorbed yolk sack.

10. northernchic

northernchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Any pics of the egg/duckling in the half shell? I am completely knew to chickens and incubating so I have no advice but I sure hope baby makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by