HELP! fertileness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KBsilkie, May 30, 2010.

1. KBsilkie

KBsilkie Hatching

Apr 6, 2010
    We have a tiny bantam tailed tufted roo. We have him with 3 clean faced rumpless hens and 1 clean faced tailed hen. Our problem is the eggs from the tailed hen are the only ones that are getting fertile. The rumpless hens are also bantams but are bigger than Peanut (roo). We have seen him mount the rumpless as well as the tailed hen, so that couldn't be the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help us figure this out as my hubby wants to raise rumpless tufted chickens. The 2 black rumpless lay blue eggs, the white rumpless lays pinkish eggs, and the tailed hen lays olive green eggs.

Thanks for any help with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2010

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  3. KBsilkie

KBsilkie Hatching

Apr 6, 2010
    Ouch! Thanks for the link... never heard or thought about trimming around the vent... but still new and always learning. Will it run by hubby and see if we can muster the courage to pluck our babies... such a tender area. [​IMG] But if that helped others we'll probably give it a try.

Thanks!!![​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I did not pluck, I took scissors and cut them back. It has not slowed the rooster any, but I'm not as nice and caring as Speckledhen. If you decide to pluck instead of trim, take one or two feathers and a time and give a good jerk. Think of taking one of your eyebrow hairs and pulling it out slowly versus yanking it out. When working with chickens like this, I wrap them in a towel to keep their wings under control. It seems to calm them down. As long as you don't suffocate them, covering their heads helps too.

I don't guarantee that this is your problem, just a possibility.

5. KBsilkie

KBsilkie Hatching

Apr 6, 2010
    Well we just got done plucking - poor babies - they squaked with a couple of feathers each, but came thru [​IMG]. Hopefully this will work for us... I can't see 3 hens gotten from 3 sources could all be infertile...lol.

Keeping fingers crossed......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by