Help! Few day old chick with swollen vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kjkchicks, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kjkchicks

kjkchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Hi,
    I got ten little chicks a few days ago and one of them is really small and awkward..really cute, with funny little curled wings. But, yesterday I noticed some poop stuck on her vent, so I took her out and started wiping. As I was wiping, she pooped a bit so I figured he was ok...plus she really hated the wiping. Then today I noticed it had gotten worse, so I took her out again and reallly tried to get it all off. I also put some mineral oil on her bum. I think I got it all but her vent is really swollen, almost sticking out actually, and I haven't seen her poop..but I have seen her vent looking like it was moving or throbbing or something. Some of the other chicks have shown interest so I am trying to keep an eye on them to make sure they dont peck at her...I was going to separate her but she cheeps non stop when I remove her. Also, she is the only one that seems to forget to lay down when shes tired..she keeps sleeping standing up. I am very worried about her bum but I dont want to rub it too much more because she clearly hates it and I dont know if I am even making a difference! I'd love any suggestions.

2. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    Oh! We just got a big noisy poop! So that's a good sign right? But its still so swollen and painful looking!

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like progress! The mineral oil is probably soothing too. I'd keep applying that and maybe massaging her little tummy ocassionally.

4. Golden Phoenix

Golden Phoenix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    It might be a prolapsed vent. I copy and pasted this from the website hubpages.com:

You need to act quickly, before it becomes cut or infected, or the other chickens start to peck at it. Bring the chicken inside, and clean the prolapsed vent as gently as you can with warm water and a clean lint-free cloth or paper towel.
    Many sources advise dabbing the prolapse with honey before pushing it back where it belongs. Honey has antiseptic qualities, and can help shrink the tissues back to normal size.
    Wash your hands, and don clean rubber gloves or surgical gloves if you have some. Gently push the prolapsed tissue back into the hen’s vent where it belongs. Once you turn everything right side-in, it should stay in place.

5. kjkchicks

Mar 5, 2012
    Thanks! I did read about the prolapsed vent before I posted and I was realllly hoping that wasn't what it was, because she is sooo small and I don't know how to push it back in without hurting her. She seems okay right now, and she did have that big poop so I'm gonna wait it out for a bit and maybe when my boyfriend gets home I can convince him to try to push it in haha. I read one post where the chick's vent went back to normal on its own with time, so maybe that will happen to my little one too...I hope! Thanks for the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by