Help! few of my chickens crop is full of mud (dirt).

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alonso23, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Alonso23

Alonso23 New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Question: Few of my chickens have been eating dirt like crazy. I feed them a well ration diet that contains vitamins and minerals (pellet form) and add supplements such as kick n chicken supplement, and dewormed them and still continue to eat dirt? How can I stop that habit? any medications or suggestions? thanks.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you sure they are just eating the dirt? They pick seeds and bugs out of dirt, and I give my confined birds clumps of sod for them to dig and eat through, so I don't see why you are worried. It's normal for them ground forage, and is a healthy activity. Do you provide grit?

1 person likes this.
  3. Alonso23

Alonso23 New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes, I provide grit. I was thinking that its maybe due to boredom since they are in pen.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

They will eat dirt, bugs, seeds, etc. If you feel they are bored, then provide them with some hanging cabbage, kale, apple, etc. Some people sprout seeds or provide fodder as well. I try to give fresh/frozen fruits, veggies everyday and throw a little seed/scratch for them to find.

A large pile of leaves/pine needles to dig through is always welcome.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/20-winter-boredom-busters-for-backyard.html
    https://hencam.com/faq/cold-weather-care/

5. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    How many birds and how big is your run?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How do you know their crops are "full" of dirt? If your run is bare soil, it's time to put in a deep litter. IMO, bare soil is unhealthy soil, especially if it has a flock of chickens on it. When you clean the coop, toss the litter into the run. Add leaves, wood chips, grass, garden debris, basically anything that is compostable with the goal to build up a 6" layer of goodies for them to scratch through. You can increase their thrills by tossing some scratch into the mix now and then. The DL will attract lots of organisms, including microscopic beneficial bacteria and fungi, as well as beneficial insects. All of these critters will keep the pathogens in check, including helping to eliminate internal and external parasites, and will give your birds a healthy gut flora, in effect giving them a stronger immune system and decreasing your feed bill.

7. Alonso23

Alonso23 New Egg

Dec 23, 2015
    Good point, will definitely do that. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by