Help fight Austin trying to only have the megwealthy allowed to have chickens!

DorothyH

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
Typical Austin, growing worse as NIMBYs move in from far away. Lots of green talk, vaguely drafted ordinances allowing selective enforcement against those not currently in favor. Someone near you trying to sell their house??? Complaint likely triggered in an effort to protect their property values.

Hand the Code Enforcement guy a $20, and go about your day. He's simply seeking the "King's Tax".

Honestly, its Austin normal, and part of why I never lived w/i reach of its lawmaking (was in Bastrop, right next door, which is starting to trend that way). So I moved again.

Yes, the next door neighbors that tortured us with the dogs for decades put their house up their tiny middle class home for sale with a "luxury realtor" and it was obviously them but... to report your next door neighbor like this when you are trying to sell your house is probably the stupidest thing one could possibly do because... there is no code that mandates that we have good taste. ;)

But no matter who did the reporting, this really could be the start of an attempt to rid Austin of chickens as the official made it a point to say that "many people would like it if there were no chickens in the city of Austin". They are trying to make it hard for anyone who owns birds so this is something that really needs to be nipped in the bud or there could be realtors wandering around listening for your bird's "chirps" and reporting you.

I would never offer a woman like the one that came here a bribe. I understand that it is done, but it's also a great way to do something illegal that could have gotten us in more serious trouble.

DorothyH

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
Have $300 so far which is great... but not enough yet! Please, any amount donated would help towards protecting all of our chickens.

DorothyH

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
We're heading in the right direction ... above $400 now, but that's less than half of what we will need to even get the research by the lawyer done to get this underway. Gotta keep this going! Please send emails to all your chicken loving friends and neighbors and even just people that would like to keep your chickens safe. One idea was that I gave someone a dozen eggs and asked them to make a donation in the amount that they would normally spend on eggs. All the donations count!

Top Bottom