help, fightened rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dallandrafae, Sep 29, 2011.

1. dallandrafae

dallandrafae Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi all, i have a very frighted rooster, and a poland silkie cross who is also very frightened. They are both terrified of my four 18 wk old isa browns. my rooster is 13wks and the silkie cross is 9wks. what do i do? The isa's chase them and they hide under a hutch i have in the corner of the pen. My poor silkie cross wont grow much bigger either. Help! [​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I might be crazy. But I was told that when you have mean chickens to turn them on their backs and pet them. Mine have alll turned out nice.[​IMG]

3. dallandrafae

Sep 23, 2011
    I'm not sure my girls would like that. [​IMG]

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    You could make an area for the little chickens to get into, until they grow up they are likely to be picked on, I keep a separate run only the little ones can get into so they can eat in peace.

5. dallandrafae

Sep 23, 2011
    I am really worried that my silkie will get hurt though [​IMG]

6. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Hi, we kind of had the same problem..... We ended up with 3 bantams after chicken math struck LOL Anyway, we have 16 full size hens, one EE roo and 1 Royal Palm Turkey in addition to one Sultan hen one MF D'uccle hen and a wonderful D'uccle roo who is the sweetest lil guy.
    Well they were raised together but within the last month the big EE roo started picking on the little roo and caused some comb injury but I always intervened. now he just stays on the opposite side of the yard and house from everyone [​IMG]

So to give him some company and safety we found a Little Tykes playhouse on craigslist and made him his own little coop with a little run INSIDE od the bigger run next to the big coop. He and the little D'uccle hen stay in there at night and until I let them out to free range when the two of them stick together away from the big roo.

This arrangement seems to have lessened the hostility but the little guy is still scared of the big roo. There have been no more scuffles or bruised combs though so I feel that this solution is a success.

Could you do something similar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by