Help! Fighting chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Red, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My five chicks will be ten weeks old on Tuesday.

We have four boys and one girl (what rotten luck...) but none of the boys are crowing yet and they have all gotten along famously until now. In the past they will run up to each other and bob up and down, maybe have a peck...but that was it, there has never been any real nasty behaviour or fighting.

Today i let them out to free-range for a while as usual, and about half an hour after i'd let them out i heard all this squawking. So i ran up to find Paprika (one of the chicks) pecking and attacking Midget! I got them apart and lifted Midget up and he has several cuts on his face that were bleeding...Pappy then went after his sister, and then another brother!

Why has he just 'turned' like this?? Is it normal - and does that mean whenever they are together now they will fight? [​IMG]

Midget seems to be in shock. He has eaten some food and had a little to drink, but the rest of the time he has been sleeping on my lap. He also seems to be keeping one eye closed most of the time, although he can open it and see out of it...I'm hoping he just got pecked in the eye and it's nothing more serious. Is there anything i can do for him? [​IMG]

The other three boys aren't fighting with each other...it's just Pappy. I'm keeping him seperated, but they're all so miserbale and are sleeping side by side seperated by chicken wire...if i put them together he'll hurt them again, won't he? I knew the time would come when the boys would need seperating but i was hoping for another few weeks at least...they aren't even crowing yet! Last year we had BO chicks living with each other until they were 16 weeks old, why has Pappy suddenly started attacking his siblings? [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i say rehome him really.. this will happen. your little rooster with his eye closed probably just got. pecked or "hit" in the eye. should be fine as long as he can open it.

3. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Okay, well that's a relief, thankyou! Is it okay that he's spending so much time asleep, is it just shock? [​IMG]

All the chicks are getting rehomed eventually, but the guy who's taking them wants them in another two weeks...he's got a really nice place ready and everything, lots of hens space etc, but i have no idea what we will do with them for the next fortnight *sigh*

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    hes probably sleeping because he maybe a bit sore. but should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by