1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Fighting or Mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alte Vogel, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    I got up late this morning because I have been under the weather. So, unfortunately I let my chickens out of the coop an hour later than usual. A little after they were let out in their run I saw one of my so called "hens" chasing my cochin, pinned her down and was pecking at her. I was watching this behavior from my window so I couldn't tell whether she/he was on top of the cochin. I went out to the pen and he/she was chasing her again. Could this be that they were locked up too long, just chicken behavior, or is my hen a roo? The EE in question is 23 weeks and the blue cochin is 22 weeks. Maybe you can tell from my pix below whether I have a roo or hen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help. I am a new chicken Mom and don't know about such things. BTW none of my "hens" have started to lay.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    She must be a member of the "mean girl's club".

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    She looks like a hen, sometimes in the absence of a rooster a hen will assume the rooster role, I cannot remember what it is called but they will even attempt to crow. Or they are just resolving the pecking order.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is a pullet - just reaffirming her dominance over the cochin.

5. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    Quote:Thank you for all the reassuring responses. Lucy better be good or Santa won't come to see her. Princess, my cochin, is a very timid, quiet girl. I felt so sorry for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by