Help figure out what breed this is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jjacks606, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Jjacks606

Jjacks606 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Hello all! I am new to chicken keeping and have found this site so helpful! I recently bought some Ameracaunas, Wyandottes, Gold Sex Links, and a Black sex link. However, one of the chicks doesn't look like any of the others and I'm trying to figure out which it could be. It is the lightest one in the attached photos. I'm wondering if it is another breed entirely that just got mixed in with the wrong group at the farm store. They are a little over 3 weeks old and this one has always been the biggest. It has feet the color of the Ameracaunas, but no "beard" like the others, and coloring similar to the gold sex links, but it's comb is different than those. I bought pullets but know that it no guarantee.Maybe it's a cockerel? Any idea? Is it too early to tell? Thanks so much! -Julie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]One of the Ameracaunas

[​IMG] One of the gold sex links in the background.Different feet and comb.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Easter Eggers

3. Jjacks606

Jjacks606 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    I had read that EEs are often sold as "Ameracaunas". Do not all EEs have "beards"? The two brown ones seem to, but not the light one.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hatchery EE "usually" have beards, but it's not an absolute. I'm thinking your girl will look something like this (minus the beard)

[​IMG]

While your other chicks will have the more classic wild-type coloring....

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE's

6. Jjacks606

Jjacks606 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by