1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help figuring out breed/sex?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hockeymom23, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Hockeymom23

Hockeymom23 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    She's almost 3 months old. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Hockeymom23

Hockeymom23 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Looks like a pullet.

Where did she come from? That can narrow down breed. The straight comb and white skin could be Marans or Orpington.

From the overall fluff and what I can see of the shape, I'd go with Orpington. But her stance is off, not sure if it's from being held and her balance is weird, or if she's not feeling well.

4. Hockeymom23

Hockeymom23 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    I think it's just a weird position from being held. She was being skittish when taking the pic.
    I got her at an auction as a chick that was hatched on display at the poultry show. So she could be anything.
    I don't think a mutt, but could be a possibility.
    I was hoping others might think she's an Orpington, they've become my fav breed. Lavender??

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks blue to me. I think lavender is a paler, silvery shade. I only have blue birds, not lavender, so I'm not positive on the difference. But she looks like my blues.

6. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

It's definitely not lavender (i had some) and I think she's a pullet!!

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Blue Orpington Pullet, you're in for a great chicken. Orpington's are a great breed!

8. Hockeymom23

Hockeymom23 New Egg

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks everyone! I was hoping for a blue or lavender orp girl. I'm so excited. Have a buff already and she is such a sweetie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by