1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help filling in the other 1/2 of this half-breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Jul 31, 2011.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    This is Polka Dot. He/she is 10 days old. The daddy was a Buff Orpington, and the mama could have been any number of hens. I got the eggs from another farmer in town. What type of comb is this? Any guesses on the hen breed? Also at 10 days the comb is already turning pink, so I'm guessing Polka Dot is a cockerel? He is a good bit bigger than the other chicks as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    He's got a rose comb, so I'd guess Buff Orpington x Silver Laced Wyandotte. You can ask if the farmer has any SLW hens. If he does, I'd be willing to bet that's what he is (and yes, I do think it's a he). [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's a rose comb, and it looks like a little cockerel. Wyandotte's and Dominiques have rose combs.

4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I was thinking Silver Laced Wyandotte because 1) rose comb, 2) yellow legs, 3) SLWs are a common enough breed that an average person/farmer may have, and 4) the color is about what I'd expect from this cross (cockerels would be white/black and pullets would be yellow/black).

Dominiques are barred, and the barring gene is very dominant. If it were a Buff Orpington x Dominique the chick would be a kind of messy/blurry black/white barred color, or similar in color to a crele.

5. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Quote:I think you may be right. I suspected it was a rose comb, but these would be my first chicks with such a comb. There is one other chick with the same comb, but it isn't pink at all, and the chick is more of a pale yellow-orange color. Perhaps that one is a pulet?

She listed several hens, and I don't remember Wyandotte specifically, but I do remember not hearing Dominique, because I didn't really want any barring.

6. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I think you may be right. I suspected it was a rose comb, but these would be my first chicks with such a comb. There is one other chick with the same comb, but it isn't pink at all, and the chick is more of a pale yellow-orange color. Perhaps that one is a pulet?

She listed several hens, and I don't remember Wyandotte specifically, but I do remember not hearing Dominique, because I didn't really want any barring.

Could be. She should have at least a little black or dark grey on her if she is indeed a Buff Orpington x Silver Laced Wyandotte. [​IMG]

ETA: I just wanted to mention that what I originally said about the Buff Orpington x Dominique only applies to MALE chicks. The females would be colored like this (since barring is a sexlinked trait, being passed from father to daughter):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by