HELP Finding a Hatchery in Ontario

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TropBeaucoup, Sep 2, 2014.

1. TropBeaucoup

TropBeaucoup Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    Hi everyone - I am trying to find a hatchery in Ontario (it can be outside Ontario if it is not too far). I live in Curran (Alfred/Plantagenet) area.

I am VERY ethically conscious though so would like a place well know and well reputed. Unfortunately I have heard

-Freys Hatchery - good and bad reviews (I also find their variety very limited - we don't want your average hen. We would like special breeds)

-Performance Poultry - some good and bad reviews but unfortunately now closed for their "season".

-DC Heritage Poultry - apparently they used to operate under the puppy mill Paws R Us? That was upsetting especially since I got their information from the Poultry Swap website. You would think that a business would only advertise another business that was good.

Please help?! We would really like to start on our flock this month as currently my boyfriend is not working so it's ideal timing.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    You could also look on Alberta Chickens etc, they may have a listing on there.

4. TropBeaucoup

TropBeaucoup Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2014
    I'd like to stay in Ontario. I am not a fan of shipping chicks - undue stress and also most expenses for shipping. And I dont really want to get in the business of hatching eggs.

But I have found two breeders that seem to be getting consistently good reviews - which is Performance Poultry and Skara Brae Farms (they are both in Ontario CANADA) and just a few hours drive from our place. So will be checking them out come spring time!

5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

6. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Guess I wasn't very clear, Alberta Chickens etc is another forum, it also has an Ontario section ;)

7. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by