Help finding a home for a young duck and a swan

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tlsk, May 18, 2016.

1. tlsk

tlsk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    A girl down the street decided to order 2 random ducklings without having any clue how to care for them. They are now kept in a dark garage in a small pen at least 23 hours a day. One is a swan, the other a mallard. Both are the sweetest animals. It breaks my heart to see them being treated this way. I've finally convinced her to let me find a home for them. I've posted everywhere I could. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 651-600-7749

2. Kdunn222

Kdunn222 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    Where are they located? Ducks need better to live.

3. tlsk

tlsk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    little canada Minnesota

4. booksandducks

booksandducks New Egg

May 18, 2016
    I could try checking with my aunt if you'd like, she owns a small hobby farm w/ chickens in Wisconsin & might be willing to take them in. You say that one is a mallard and one is a swan- I don't think owning a swan is legal???

1 person likes this.
  5. Kdunn222

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    I'll take but in MD and no restrictions here.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Strombergs sells Swans but they are very expensive and sell in pairs. I am pretty sure. Maybe the other one is a goose?? OP?

Try the Minnesota thread at "where am i where are you" in case the Aunt doesn't want them. These babies need rescued ASAP @tlsk

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  7. tlsk

tlsk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd be willing to drive them there if you think she would take them.

8. tlsk

tlsk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    Not sure how I could get them there. But thank you

9. Kdunn222

Oct 11, 2015
    Southern md
    Go get them. If not being cared for animal shelter would take. Mine have roaming room but helps that people know there mine. I don't see the point in having them if you don't know what to do or atleast find out.

10. tlsk

tlsk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    I am absolutely going to get them from where they are but I was hoping to find a nice place for them to go besides a shelter. They are the sweetest things and I hate to see them go to a shelter that doesnt have the resources to care for them either. Thought I would try here first. Ive helped her out by buying a small temporary outdoor shelter and a small pool but she is rarely there to let them out. I sneak over and let them out as often as I can. I cant afford to keep them myself or I would in a second. Just hoping someone local who also raised ducks would have room for 2 more but that doesnt seem to be working out very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by