help finding a thread on keeping hen and chicks with rest of flock...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by panipuri, Feb 22, 2012.

1. panipuri

panipuri Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    There was a great thread I ran across awhile back where someone managed to make an 'area' for the chicks that the rest of the chickens couldn't get into - pics etc. I cannot find this thread - anyone know what I'm talking about would so appreciate the link! They had devised some kind of way for the broody mom and chicks to mingle with the rest of the flock and it was a fascinating thread.

Trying to devise something like that for my broody hen and chicks which will be off her nest by tomorrow. I know I can just keep their food and water under a crate or something that the hens can't get to it, but would love to find that thread if I could for other ideas - thanks for any help! :)

2. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you have a good hen, quit worrying about it. I was nervous at first, but the hen stayed between the flock and the chicks, and if one chick got to close to another hen, and she moved to peck it, the broody took her to task. As for the feed, just feed chick feed, and then offer oyster shell in another bowl. The chicks won't eat it, and the laying hens will.

Just give her a nest on the floor, she may use yours, or she may find a spot she likes better and make a nest there. It works very well, if you let it. And the chicks will just be part of the flock, and there are no reintroduction issues. My mama hen usually has them outside by day 2 or 3. She usually goes in earlier than the rest of the flock and gets them all settled. She eventually will even teach them to roost.

I had one broody hen, that got her flock to the top of the nesting boxes, by the time they were 3 weeks old, she would set up there, and they could still crawl under her for a bit of warm up.

Make sure there is plenty of water containers, and a couple of food dishes and maybe a corner not blocked off, but sectioned so that it can be hidden behind.

It has worked very well for me, good luck, there is nothing more fun than a hen with chicks.

MrsK

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. panipuri

Jan 26, 2012
    this is what I'd love to do - right now I have them in a box in the coop with a wire side so the flock can see them... theyre just a day old.. was thinking of making a little hole that they can run in and out of the box but not big enough for a hen to get through.

The PROBLEM I am confused about is that the mom can't be with them then... and its COLD...30 here for the next week or so and 40s highest after that for a while. Will they be ok? Or do they need to be with their mom at all times with that chilly of temps???

5. panipuri

Jan 26, 2012
  6. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I just keep them all together, and let the mamas do the work. My broodys are all half the size of my other hens, but I never have any issues regardless. Ive only lost 2 chicks, and both were to a hawk in the yard while they were free ranging, never any injuries or issues relating to other chickens, good luck with them!

7. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I flipped over a cardboard box and cut a chick sized hole in it. In there I put chick food and water. The babies loved it and would run in and out, and roost on it at night. The mama just sat on the floor next to them all day. I had just wanted to give them a place to hide if something did happen. They were all fine though, as the mama would attack anything that got near them. Doing that also let me have chick food out without the hens eating all of it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. panipuri

Jan 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by