Help! First chick hatched and something hanging from vent! What do I do!!?!

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
Here’s the photo.
A5E865CD-9441-4D95-AFAF-EF4042F5AECE.jpeg
@casportpony

Could it be the “umbilical cord”?:idunno If it is you just leave it alone and it’ll go away on it’s own in a few days.

That is not his vent, it is his belly button, the navel didn't absorb well. hopefully it will dry up and fall off. If the chick kicked off shell before it was supposed to, some times they have rough navel. (or if someone helped it hatch...not saying you.) It is best they stay in egg as long as possible.

That is not his vent, it is his belly button, the navel didn't absorb well. hopefully it will dry up and fall off. If the chick kicked off shell before it was supposed to, some times they have rough navel. (or if someone helped it hatch...not saying you.) It is best they stay in egg as long as possible.
Yes. This little one is about a day early. I woke up to him or her out. There’s nothing but eggs in the bator. No one helped out. It pipped over 24 hours ago and not due until tonight!

That looks like yolk. If it were mine I would place it in a small container on a paper towel and hope that it finishes absorbing. If they yolk breaks the chick will almost certainly die, so IMO, this needs to be addressed ASAP. I would also suggest placing a paper towel over the wire grate in the incubator because those wire grates have a bad habit of rupturing exposed yolks.

@WVduckchick, @Pyxis, what do you guys do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom