HELP**First chick hatched out- Question about the humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rockridge Chicks, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Rockridge Chicks

Rockridge Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2007
    Kingston, Ont
    Hi!

My first ever chick has just hatched [​IMG] I had 6 eggs under my broody for 25 days!! I gave up on them and put new ones under her. I brought these eggs 25 days old in today and put them in my bator just to see what if anything was going to happen. To my surprise they have just started to hatch tonight! I really thought I was going to have chicks hatch under my broody but now, I have to learn all about my incubator (very quickly)

My temp is holding steady at about 98. My real question is~ how high can the humidity rise in the bator without suffocating the newly hatched chick?

Prior to first egg to hatch it was at 68 it's now at 74 with the second egg just starting to pip.

Help!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That should be fine... you usually bump the humidity to 70-75% the last 3 days anyway. [​IMG] Congratulations!

3. Rockridge Chicks

Rockridge Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2007
    Kingston, Ont
    Thank-you! Now just maybe i'll get a few hours of shut eye :c)

Another question will mama hen except the new babies, she had been sitting and waiting on them for 25 days... if yes how do i go about re-introducing them to her??

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Advice I've seen is that you wait until night when they're "sleeping" and slip them under the hen. But I just went out and tucked a day old chick under our broody silkie's wing and she took right to it. Just keep an eye on it for a little while to make sure she's not walking on it or picking on it, then let them get to know each other. [​IMG] Good luck!!! What fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by