1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP FIRST DUCK (and i think hes retarded)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nick10atl, Apr 22, 2009.

1. nick10atl

nick10atl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    Okay i hatched this duck yesterday and it cannot walk it just skoots everywhere .. is this normal ? please please help idk what to do...

I also have a duck egg hatching and its been trying since yesterday and its got some of it cracked open but i dont want him to die in there so should i help him or no...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    What kind of bedding is he on? Make sure it's no to slick or slippery (aka not news paper or anything like that, since it's to hard for them to get good footing)

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:[​IMG] it's normal - he'll get his land legs in another day or so - sometimes it takes ducks a little longer to get their feet under them.

As long as he's scooting and trying, he's doing great.

meri

4. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    What kind of bedding is he on? Make sure it's no to slick or slippery (aka not news paper or anything like that, since it's to hard for them to get good footing)

I have him in a box with no bedding but i just put paper towels down .. and i have shavings should i put them in the bottom?​

5. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay well hes trying hes just skooting everwhere so hopefully he will start walking soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by