*Help* First pip nearly 12 hrs ago

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blondi, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Blondi

Blondi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Help Please-
    I had my first pip this morning chick is still moving a bit a peeping but the whole hasn't gotten any bigger how long until they make the hole larger or "zip"

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It can take up to 24 hours. My average pip to zip time on my last hatch was 16-18 hours, some earlier, some later. Out of the 13 that hatched I don't think any of them zipped before 12 hours.

3. Blondi

Blondi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    THANK YOU! Geez this is so hard! I did a no no and opened the bator but just to add water humidity is at 72% now though

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I open my bator when I need to. I also shoot for 75% humidity so if and when I have to my humidity has some leeway and still remains well above the recommended percentage. I use sponges in my bator at lockdown so when I need to boost the humidity all i have to do is crack it open and slip out the sponge and then crack it again to slip the sponge back in. Works real well for me. :)

The waiting between pip to zip is the absolute hardest...lol. Just keep an eye on the color of the membrane (yellowish/brown change in color not a good sign, means the membranes are drying out and could "stick the chick",) and as long as the chick isn't malpositioned I wouldn't worry about much until it's been closer to 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by