Help! First time Bunny Mom (both me and the bunny!)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KYFarmGirl94, Jul 4, 2011.

1. KYFarmGirl94

KYFarmGirl94 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Hi everyone! I have a question: My lionhead doe just had her first litter of babies during the night. She had 3, but only one was alive. [​IMG] She is still pulling her fur out and rearranging the nest box! Is this normal behavior or could she still have more babies yet to be born? [​IMG]

Please help! I have no idea what to expect! She was bred when I got her, so I really wasn't sure what (or when) to expect this...but I did manage to get the nesting box in her cage in time!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Since she had her last one during the night, that is probably all she had. It is normal to keep pulling fur. My FA pulled her hair til there were no more tufts. Were the two born dead? Keep your eye on the remaining kit. Make sure you can see it's belly full of milk once a day.

3. KYFarmGirl94

KYFarmGirl94 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    We knew she was bred, so we have been keeping a close eye on her! She made the nest a couple of days ago, but no fur pulling. This morning when we got up there were two babies in the nest but they we already dead...assuming they were born dead or smothered. I was getting them out when I saw something moving and there was the third one! She is such a sweet little doe and doesn't mind me messing in her cage at all. We do have her in a nice quiet area without a lot of distractions, but she doesn't appear to mind us coming and going when we have to.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Normal rabbit behavior is to leave them alone until it is time to feed. Just make sure there is enough of the nest over the babe to keep it warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by