1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, first time chicken hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickengeorge06, Sep 29, 2012.

1. chickengeorge06

chickengeorge06 New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Yay, our first chick just hatched! It's "crawling" around the incubator and we have 12 more eggs in there. Is this ok? Will the little chick hurt the other eggs?

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Same question I asked a short while ago (only mine haven't hatched yet). This is what I was told by members on this board:

Leave them in the bator until they're dry (it doesn't take long - about an hour on average).

It's fine if they kick the eggs around, it shouldn't hurt them any (might make them a bit dizzy though, haha). If anything, it may even encourage some of the others to begin their exit(s) too.

If you're THAT concerned about it, and you're a "mother hen" yourself (like me) they suggested putting an egg carton in the incubator to prevent kicking around...but it's a bit harder for the chick to hatch that way because they don't have the freedom they'd have to hatch comfortably without the carton.

I say leave them alone and it'll be okay.

CONGRATULATIONS [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Not normally. I usually get nervous after over half hatch and they start to kick the other eggs around. I try moving them out of the bator once they dry and start to fluff up around 6 to 8 hours when this starts to happen and set the piped eggs back to there original position if the kick them all the way over. But I'm sure if it makes a difference. Just me being over protective I guess. Good luck on the rest of your hatch[​IMG]

4. chickengeorge06

chickengeorge06 New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Thank you! I've read so many opinions about when to remove them from the bator. I've read everything from "get them out within a couple hours" to "it's ok for them to remain for a day or two"???? What is the correct answer???? One article said they can dehydrate after a few hours, is this true? My son is so happy, I would hate for something to happen now! Especially since it's 3:00 am and I woke him up to see the first baby hatch!

5. aussie pete

aussie pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    i leave mine in the incubator till they all hatch &dry out ,they don't need any food or water for 48 hrs, because they r still feeding on the yolk they absorbed .just dip each one's beak in the waterer as u put them in the brooder, so they get a drink know where to find a drink.they won't dehydrate in the incubator during the first 48 hrs.hope this helps.enjoy yr fluffy butts[​IMG][​IMG]cheers Pete

6. chickengeorge06

chickengeorge06 New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for your help! We have 4 total now! 13 eggs in all, 9 more to hatch....do you take the shells out as they hatch or do you just leave everything and keep the incubator closed? It's getting messy in there.

7. aussie pete

aussie pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    i just leave everything until they hatch ,leave incubator shut til day 23 in case a couple r a bit slow to hatch.once all hatched i then cleanup & wash incubator after chics r in brooder

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It's perfectly fine to leave the chicks in until the hatch is finished. They've absorbed the yolk and they'll receive nourishment from that for the next couple of days. I do remove chicks sometimes, though, usually when it's a big hatch. By the time I have ten chicks out and just as many eggs still left to hatch, it starts getting a little crowded in there - especially with the hatched chicks trying to play football with the eggs :lol:. But you have to be super quick when opening the lid during lockdown so as not to cause shrinkwrap in the remaining eggs, plus I mist any exposed membranes with a spray bottle before putting the lid back on.

Congrats on your chicks and good luck with the remaining eggs :thumbsup Oh, and :welcome

9. chickengeorge06

chickengeorge06 New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Thank you, everyone! All your advice and words of wisdom are appreciated! Five so far and counting! They are SOOO darn cute!

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY!!! Congrats!!!! Fluffy Butts!!! My silkie hatched with a staggered hatch and she didnt break any other eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by