1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have no expierience with raising chicks Im trying to hatch some fertile eggs that I bought from trader Joes. Lets say they hatch this is a secrett from my parents I have a place for them at neighbors house. But lets say they hatch during a day i have to go to school. Could i put them in my sweater pocket and feed the the occasional crumbs of bread then after school I would give it to my neigbor would it survive plus its almost winter.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi [​IMG] I'm curious how you are able to have a set up to hatch eggs without your parents knowing? But, let's say they do hatch. They need well balanced chick food, fresh water and controlled temperatures. Plus, they are very loud!! It would be pretty much impossible to keep cheeping chicks a secret at home or at school.

At the top of the page is the Learning Center. You can find some of the basic chick info on there. That might help you make your decisions.

Hope I understood your question.

3. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    [email protected] :

I have no expierience with raising chicks Im trying to hatch some fertile eggs that I bought from trader Joes. Lets say they hatch this is a secrett from my parents I have a place for them at neighbors house. But lets say they hatch during a day i have to go to school. Could i put them in my sweater pocket and feed the the occasional crumbs of bread then after school I would give it to my neigbor would it survive plus its almost winter. Im only a freshman

How would you explain the Poop In Your Pocket to your Mom? [​IMG]

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Well, gosh, I hope your folks have a sense of humor.
    If they don't when they catch you trying to hatch eggs from Trader Joes, then I hope they do in 10 or 15 years.

As a kid who was forever bringing home "strays" I should warn you - some parents never find their funny bone over this kind of thing.

Do you have a fun science teacher at school? Maybe it would be better to hatch them with your science class than hidden in your closet?

5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [email protected] :

The thing is i have a place to put them my neighbor was going to order some eggs to hatch togther but i want my own I no it sounds selfish but if its a hen then my neighbors hen wont be so lonly do you think they will hatch?

I've never hatched eggs myself, but from what I've read, specific temperatures and specific humidity are pretty important. Also the eggs need to be turned on a schedule. Think about how a mama hen hatches her chicks. She is very warm and her underside is very humid and she not only sits on those eggs non stop for weeks, but she will turn them as well. So, hatching in an incubator, even a homemade one, has to mimic what a mama hen does to hatch her eggs.

Edited to say that I wasn't able to view your pictures.​

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    keep in mind that cute chicks become large,loud, poopy, pecky hens and roosters in no time flat. It doesn't sound like the most caring or responsible thing to do for these potential chicks. Why don't you wait until it doesn't have to be a secret and you are prepared to raise them on your own??

Freshman in HS or college??

7. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Still can't see it.

However, this is from the Learning Center: https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-hatch.html You might find it educational. BYC is really a great place to learn all you can about what it takes to hatch and/or raise chickens. The more you learn, the better prepared you will be. I'm an adult with my own home, so I didn't need anyone's permission, but I researched for on here for 6 months and made sure I had everything I needed before getting my chicks. Just a suggestion, but that might be a good plan for you are well.

Besides, if those eggs don't develop and end up rotting in your closet, that would be so gross!! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by