Help! First time hatching, missing eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LolaBlue, Jan 15, 2013.

1. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Our SLW "Lola" has gone broody for the very first time. She is approx 2 years old and we've had her since POL.
    After having her sit on infertile eggs for 4 or 5 days, I placed a dozen fertilised eggs under her last week.
    Today should be Day 6.
    I have left her alone up until today.
    I just went out to check she had enough water and noticed egg shell in her nest.
    I also found shell on the ground outside her nest from another egg (this one was an Araucana, egg which was infertile).
    I then moved her so I could see what was happening under there and found her sitting on only 7 of the original eggs and 3 Araucana eggs.
    Am I right in assuming she's eating them?
    Why would she do that?
    What can I do to prevent her doing that to more?
    Could it be that when the Araucana is getting in there to lay, her fertile eggs are being broken?
    Help! :(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would guess that the hens are fighting when the araucana comes to lay in the nest. This frequently happens when broody hens share a common nest or a broody is not secured away from the rest of the flock. Try to fix things so that she has total privacy.

3. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    If I move her now, what is the likelihood of her abandoning the remaining eggs? Is it as simple as moving her and the eggs to a pet carrier or the like on the ground of the coop?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If at all possible, I would try leaving her where she is and exclude all other hens from her nest. I have always had mixed success when moving broody hens.

5. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I think you can move her. I moved my first broody trying to get things sorted out right. She got kicked off the nest and kept getting back on the wrong eggs. I finally put her in a pet carrier. The eggs did not hatch because they got cold, but I gave her some 3 day old chicks and all went well. We even had to move momma and babies a couple times. Quite the learning curve! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by